download speed drops instantly

Holdor

So whenever i start downloading anything with utorrent 3.4.2 version when i start new torrent it starts downloading at full normal speed, but after a few seconds it drops to 1 kb/s and stays that way, the only way to fix this is to shut down utorrent via task manager and restart it again, this is very inconvenient for 2 reasons: I have to wait ridiculiuos amounts of time for torrent checking when i restart client as im usually downloading very large files, and second thing is that when i shut down utorrent the process in task manager stays active for like 15minutes or more, and no matter what i do it doesnt shut down, untill process disapears only then i can turn it back on again. 

Is there any knows solution for this?

I have this problem too, i thought that it was my firewall but i checked it and no visible signs there? i cleaned the crap up on my OS and reg etc rebooted my computer and my internet connection i restarted and it would do exactly the same again from full speed to 1kb/s and often zero .

by testing my connection then trying the setup option in U torrent where it tests my connection i am realising it stops connecting to the internet properly all by its self, at first i thought my isp was filtering/blocking it, i put it on random port etc put the same results, so only since the upgrade to 3.4.2 version is it doing this, am i missing something here? i have been trying all day to fix something that is not working without any success

i am using McAfee BT net protect plus which i get with my ISP package, it shows utorrent as having full acess and shows nothing out of the ordinary that i can see since i upgraded to version 3.4.2 of utorrent , i have also purchased the pro version but i was starting to have these download issues before then. this all started as soon as i upgraded to version 3.4.2 of utorrent and before then my settings were automaticaly set to use the maximum bandwidth available and my downloads were up to 700kb/s for any of the torrents i was downloading my upload speed varied between 20 and 40kb/s Utorrent had always sensed what my isp provided and used what was available qand that worled for me but now i can barely get any download speeds at all as was stated earlier after my cleaning the system of the usual unwanted files i reboot and i get reasonable download speeds fopr 5 to 20 minutes and then nothing except the odd 1 to 10 kb/s of download trickles.

i am using McAfee BT net protect plus which i get with my ISP package, it shows utorrent as having full acess and shows nothing out of the ordinary that i can see since i upgraded to version 3.4.2 of utorrent , i have also purchased the pro version but i was starting to have these download issues before then. this all started as soon as i upgraded to version 3.4.2 of utorrent and before then my settings were automaticaly set to use the maximum bandwidth available and my downloads were up to 700kb/s for any of the torrents i was downloading my upload speed varied between 20 and 40kb/s Utorrent had always sensed what my isp provided and used what was available qand that worled for me but now i can barely get any download speeds at all as was stated earlier after my cleaning the system of the usual unwanted files i reboot and i get reasonable download speeds fopr 5 to 20 minutes and then nothing except the odd 1 to 10 kb/s of download trickles.

exactly the same for me

thanks for the input Holdor,

i have plusnet which is a sister company to BT, hence it says BT Net Protect Plus on my McAfee software and not plusnet net protect plus. do you have BT?

please let me know if you get an understanding of this problem and if there is a solution that is perhaps not related to the McAfee software.{ which i am suspecting as well as the new Utourrent upgrade}

until i am told differently i have to assume that the upgraded Utorrent (to 3.4.2 version ) is not at fault.

THAT IS UNTIL i get an answer from the people at utorrent or someone one in this forum tells me that it is Utorrent at fault here

and so i am at fault or my software is like McAfee aka BT/plusnet (BT are known blockers of p2p websites like kickass etc and do cap usage in the evening, or used to i have not been with them for just over a year]

plusnet have not blocked anything when BT have, ie: kickass's website and i have been with plusnet for a year with no problems and excellent speeds for my type of broadband package, a constant 6.5mb/s download with 0.2 to 0,4 mb/s upload], day and night with no capping. it was a relief when i left BT to go to plusnet and have broadband i could use during the evening,

so before version 3.4.2 of Utorrent i was getting download speeds of up to 700kb/s day and night 24/7 but i question now, like you, i have been getting  maybe speeds of 300kb/s for 2 to 20 minutes then it drops suddenly for no apparent reason to  0.1kb/s affecting all torrents. some just doing nothing at all. this 0.1kb/s speed which flits from torrent to torrent is just like they, the computers, are talking but not connecting? i have no problems with other apps and speed checks indicate i am getting an average of 6mb/s as usual?

what is puzzeling to me is why when i shut everything down broadband modem included and then start up again does Utorrent behave normally for a few minutes then suddenly does virtually nothing at all until i repeat the shutdown/startup process; this puzzels me but should be a big clue top some one else!

so is it the upgraded utorrent or has BT Net Protect Plus intervined and started blocking p2p apps? i have to ask myself because (as a user with limited understanding of networking) i have checked my firewall and it seems ok and no visable difference to before the Utorrent upgrade.

i tried to use the setup in Utorrent for the first time ever and could not get a connection to check my broadband which came up with different errors 10060/10053 etc,  but it said my network was fine and ok?

thanks for the input Holdor,

i have plusnet which is a sister company to BT, hence it says BT Net Protect Plus on my McAfee software and not plusnet net protect plus. do you have BT?

please let me know if you get an understanding of this problem and if there is a solution that is perhaps not related to the McAfee software.{ which i am suspecting as well as the new Utourrent upgrade}

until i am told differently i have to assume that the upgraded Utorrent (to 3.4.2 version ) is not at fault.

THAT IS UNTIL i get an answer from the people at utorrent or someone one in this forum tells me that it is Utorrent at fault here

and so i am at fault or my software is like McAfee aka BT/plusnet (BT are known blockers of p2p websites like kickass etc and do cap usage in the evening, or used to i have not been with them for just over a year]

plusnet have not blocked anything when BT have, ie: kickass's website and i have been with plusnet for a year with no problems and excellent speeds for my type of broadband package, a constant 6.5mb/s download with 0.2 to 0,4 mb/s upload], day and night with no capping. it was a relief when i left BT to go to plusnet and have broadband i could use during the evening,

so before version 3.4.2 of Utorrent i was getting download speeds of up to 700kb/s day and night 24/7 but i question now, like you, i have been getting  maybe speeds of 300kb/s for 2 to 20 minutes then it drops suddenly for no apparent reason to  0.1kb/s affecting all torrents. some just doing nothing at all. this 0.1kb/s speed which flits from torrent to torrent is just like they, the computers, are talking but not connecting? i have no problems with other apps and speed checks indicate i am getting an average of 6mb/s as usual?

what is puzzeling to me is why when i shut everything down broadband modem included and then start up again does Utorrent behave normally for a few minutes then suddenly does virtually nothing at all until i repeat the shutdown/startup process; this puzzels me but should be a big clue top some one else!

so is it the upgraded utorrent or has BT Net Protect Plus intervined and started blocking p2p apps? i have to ask myself because (as a user with limited understanding of networking) i have checked my firewall and it seems ok and no visable difference to before the Utorrent upgrade.

i tried to use the setup in Utorrent for the first time ever and could not get a connection to check my broadband which came up with different errors 10060/10053 etc,  but it said my network was fine and ok?

Im using different ISP then you are, and not McAfee, but interesting thing that i noticed is thats its also not a computer related problem, its prolly something with ISP because i use same laptop in my house and in the other place i live in, at home its all ok, but when i go to my other place it screws up, i have differents ISPs in both places, so i suspect it is something related to them

ok DreadWingKnight thanks for your input but is there a solution? if it is McAfee that is causing these problems for me and what seems to be a few other's in this forum who are also in differnet topics all seem to have one similarity and that is the upgrade to 3.4.2 build 37754 now having issues with downloading (or rather "not downloading anymore")

is this suddenly becoming notorious as well? unless it is something else other than Utorrents upgrade to 3.4.2.build 37754 but a few of us seem to be struck down after installing this softwares update?

it is unfortunate as i have been running utorrent flawlessly for over 2 years on 2 different computers on windows 7 and now for 4 months on windows 8.1 with no problems whatsoever. so why now are there similarities like these where iactually seem to be the only one using Mcafee?

oh ok holder, when you said "exactly the same for me" i took that to literally mean everything the same , But i get it, its likely to be the ISP but for you its ok in one place and not another on the same computer but for me suddenly its not ok for me at all right out of the blue in the same place it has been for over 2 years with the only exception being that i am now using a different computer for the last 3 or 4 months also with no problems at all until now after i upgraded to Utorrent 3.4.2,

may i ask, which isp, the name, is it thats not working ok and what isp [which name] are you using at home?? are you making the inquiry from the place that doesnt work or the one that does? and have you been back to the other home/house to see if its not working there yet now, today or since you noticed the problems? and how long is it since you upgarded to version 3.4.2 ?  also finally and i am sorry for asking you so many questions

but:

has anyone told you yet that it is not the Utorrent upgrade to v3.4.2 that is causing the problems you are having with keeping connections and so not allowing you to download your torrents properly?

oh ok holder, when you said "exactly the same for me" i took that to literally mean everything the same , But i get it, its likely to be the ISP but for you its ok in one place and not another on the same computer but for me suddenly its not ok for me at all right out of the blue in the same place it has been for over 2 years with the only exception being that i am now using a different computer for the last 3 or 4 months also with no problems at all until now after i upgraded to Utorrent 3.4.2,

may i ask, which isp, the name, is it thats not working ok and what isp [which name] are you using at home?? are you making the inquiry from the place that doesnt work or the one that does? and have you been back to the other home/house to see if its not working there yet now, today or since you noticed the problems? and how long is it since you upgarded to version 3.4.2 ?  also finally and i am sorry for asking you so many questions

but:

has anyone told you yet that it is not the Utorrent upgrade to v3.4.2 that is causing the problems you are having with keeping connections and so not allowing you to download your torrents properly?

As im from Lithuania i dont think isp names will give you any data :) im writing now from the place it doesnt work, and i have been at home 2 days ago and utorrent was working completely fine there, but here in my other flat i have this problem for a long time now, im also pretty sure that this started happening after upgrading to 3.4.2. and no, no one yet has told me this might not be related to utorrent 3.4.2 upgrade.

OK i have just dragged out my old computer which is running windows 7 and has utorrent v 3.4.2 build 36802 on it and i have connected to the same ISP using the same modem a Plusnet technicolor TG582n but using the WiFi, as i didnt want to move cables about.  i switched off my regular computer And straight away when i started utorrent it went up to 700kb/s downloading one torrent that i had left over from using it 4 months ago i added the recent torrents i was trying so hard to download on the other latest version of utorrent and they all started downloading at respectable speeds too and ever since then 3 hours ago i have downloaded 7 files on average of 1gb each with no hitches what so ever. i did at one point started up the computer withe the latest version of utorrent on and at first (as usual) it work ok but within 2 minues it started to slow down to a stand still so i shut it down. and carried on with the older version on the older computer.  I tried again but i had not restarted the modem only the computer it did not work as before when i had shut down everything (the apparant criteria for it work for at all properly for albeit a few minutes so it did not get any speed up this time and all torrents lay idle and whilst at first this did not effect the old computer running the earlier version of utorrent as they are on the same network (which is working fine) it did seem to drain the broadband and all torrent slowed to 10 kb/s but when i turned off said "cursed computer" with latest version of utorrent the older one pierked right up and went back to downloading at full speed, the fastes i ever get is 700kb/s and is what i am used to, so i do not see getting the latest build of utorrent as anything but a hinderance and i have no real explanation as to what else it woulod be if it is not the new version of utorrent.

i downloaded the latest upgrade and it went wrong so if it looks like a duck etc

has anyone who has not got or had any problems with the latest version (6 january 2015) if they couold come forward and tell me then i will continue to look somewhere else for a solution to this latest diaster but right now though i see only an upgrade that is not only not working but has undermind its own usefullness. and i have to revertback to a slower computer o get any success with an older version of Utorrent networked to the same system.that i am led to believe is somehow is not allowing the latest version of utorrent to work. it dont make no sense to me.

Archived