Utorrent calling strange Ips?

phishybongwaters

Ok, so I've been using utorrent for along time and I love it.

On one of the forums i frequent a user complained that Utorrent is full of spyware. I disagreed, then several users agreed that it was full of crap.

I asked if they are indeed getting the .exe from the homesite, and they are.

They have all noticed, using peerguardian, that utorrent, even without having a torrent open, is making connections to foriegn sites.

14m9beq.png

What the heck is this, and no, its not an isolated incident. I'd like some answers before I have to j oin the growing number of users boycotting utorrent.

Yeah well, why should dht have anything to do with it, when there are NO TORRENTS OPEN IN Utorrent.

Like i said in the first post, this is happening when Utorrent is open and there are no torrents at all loaded in it, none done, downloading, queued, nothing.

So yeah, come on.

Of course I'd expect this activity while torrents are active in utorrent, but not when it's clean.

Don't make assumptions when you don't understand how DHT works, so don't "come on" us. FYI, DHT connects whether or not you have torrents active. If you have a torrent that doesn't have the private flag set, its hash will be announced over the DHT network. Otherwise, DHT is just left enabled, passing DHT traffic around.

Yes, if DHT is enabled. Why don't you try disabling DHT and seeing if it continues to happen?

Edit: Also, do note that a lot of those IPs resolved to university IPs, which shouldn't be a surprise. Not like universities are even suspicious in the first place, but think about it -- university students BitTorrenting, isn't that common?

Archived