How to auto-resume downloads when uTorrent is opened?

zoso

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I did several searches and couldn't find this.

When I've had to restart my PC and have been d/l or u/l files, when I reopen uTorrent, I find I have to manually resume d/l & u/l the files. I can't see any setting to auto-resume on open.

Is there a setting I've missed?

Thanks!

That's great guys, thanks a lot. The reason for the post was because it isn't auto-resuming on start (something BitComet - spit! - was actually able to do) - but I;ve noted 1c3d0g's point and will pause in future.

Thanks again, and good luck for 2006!

Why would you pause them before rebooting?

I've rebooted various times without many torrents running and I've yet to find a need to STOP them before doing so. :/

Well I understood from what's been said that that's the only way I'm gonna be able to auto-resume the downloads/uploads when I re-open uTorrent after rebooting?

Firon is correct. I think that 1c3d0g was saying that it's more "friendly" to peers to pause the torrent before exiting. But I don't know about that, I'm think he might be getting that function confused with Stop. As far as I know, pausing torrents before exiting is no different to just exiting...

Firon: but he wants the torrents to auto-resume, and you can't do that while shutting down in a stopped state. :P

Splintax: that's exactly what I'm referring to, when you pause, you gradually decrease the amount of data to the other peers...it's just much more graceful. :) On the other hand, if you keep them torrents running and suddenly restart your PC, all the peers you're connected to would abruptly stop receiving data, maybe a few got half a packet or something, increasing wasted data and/or hash fails and ruins the swarm temporarily (IMHO). Of course, I may be wrong, but that' my theory.

/me shrugs... :/

Assuming you don't set Windows to shut your processes down after a very short amount of time when shutting the PC down, µTorrent should be able to finish doing its stuff and exit properly in time. Pausing isn't exactly a graceful way to end the connection -- in fact, it doesn't tell anyone that you're actually stopping. I think it only restricts the speed to 0, leaving your connections open. In the end, when you click stop, µTorrent doesn't abruptly stop either -- it attempts to finish transferring the pieces it's currently working on. For these reason, I feel that pausing is probably more obnoxious than simply stopping (just my loose opinion -- I don't feel too strongly either way).

Meh, you guys aren't reading. :( I know that stopping is more graceful than pausing, but in this case this cannot be done, because the OP wants µTorrent to continue seeding/downloading once his PC is rebooted (and that can't be done in a stopped state, or at least, not to my knowledge). I hope y'all get it now. :|

I find that when I restart utorrent, only 5 or 6 of my torrents reload, the rest I have to manually reload, thus losing my share ratio. I'm not sure if I've tried the pause, but I have stopped them prior to a reboot and still have only the 5 or 6 that reload.

any other suggestions concerning this? am I missing some global setting?

@1c3d0g: Heh I got it from the beginning, but the thing is, zoso doesn't have to stop any torrents manually himself (I don't think he was asking about stopping as opposed to just restarting the client/computer). When µTorrent shuts down, any running torrents should send the stop signal to peers and the tracker, and then exit. Upon next startup of the client, they autoresume anyhow. =T

Hi all!

I've just had to reboot my PC again after my system crashed (for a change). The system closed uTorrent and when I rebooted and re-started uTorrent I definitely had to start the torrents again manually - this is no big deal, but my point was should it be auto-restarting to d/l & u/l again rather than me having to start them again myself?

I'm using autoload and if by storage you mean put torrents in a particular folder, then yes.

I tried pausing all my torrents, then exiting, then rebooting and once more, only about 4 of the torrents restarted.

I don't mind restarting them manually, it's just the losing the share ratio each time that bothers me.

Archived