Downloading Torrents Kills my Internet

effward

Whenever I start up uTorrent to begin downloading, nothing else that connects to the internet works any more. No matter how slow the downloads are going, and no matter how much I limit the connections, I still cannot surf the internet, IM, or do anything that uses the internet.

I have a 26 mbps comcast connection, and even if I am DLing at 4 kb/s and uploading at 10 kb/s I cannot load any web pages or log on to AIM.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I never said it was 26 mbps upload, it is 3 mbps upload, and I know that. I have my settings set for 512 kbps.

Oh and just to be clear, my torrent download/upload speeds are plenty fast, the problem is that I cannot do anything else on the internet regardless of the torrent's upload/download speed.

Requested Information:

* Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (THE PORTS ARE OPEN AND UTORRENT WORKS FINE, ITS THE WEB BROWSING THAT'S SLOW. THE ICON IS GREEN)

* What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes (

OK! Port 18093 is open and accepting connections.)

* What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent) (CONNECTIONS PER TORRENT 90 - MAXIMUM GLOBAL CONNECTION 250 - MAX ALLOWED DOWNLOADS AT THE SAME TIME 3)

* What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent) (8)

* Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?) XP PRO

* Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware) Windows Firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy

* Exact router model(s), and exact modem model (D-Link EBR-2310, Motorola Comcast Modem)

* ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used - Comcast

Archived