Epic amount of wasted data, but 0 hashfails

Chen

What could be the reason for this? I'm downloading, say, a 1GB file, at 300kbps which is my ISP limit (2.5Mbit), and by the time it's finished, uTorrent reports more than 500MB(!!) of wasted data, but with 0 hashfails. Why is this happening? Based on time of download * speed, it seems that indeed I downloaded 1.5GB of data to my computer, so this is not a mistake.

uTorrent 1.8.3 Beta

Windows XP

Behind a router

Port forwarded correctly

Encryption disabled

Thanks,

Chen

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - I have tried removing my upload limit completely, since someone said it could be due to that. It had no effect.

I then noticed the chunks in the torrents this was happening with (it's been a consistent problem for me lately), are 512kb in size. However, I was downloading at over 500kb/s... thinking I might be downloading TOO fast for the client to keep track of, I limited the download rate to 150kb/s and voila - it seems to work! Perhaps I was downloading new chunks too fast for the client to track, so I ended up downloading a lot of double and triple chunks?

The effective download speed, by the way, is about the same now, seeing as I was downloading wasted data in a ratio of about 2:1 (2MB wasted for every 1MB completed)...

So then, would this be considered a bug??

Something about your setup. People download MEGS a second without trouble. Provide more information.

I wouldn't have expected it to be multiple fast peers sending you duplicate data.

Try http://slackware.com/torrents/ Turn on Error logging and misc errors in the Logger tab. Check the General tab. You can vary # of peers if you wish, but their 1-3 main seeds will max your download in around a minute.

• 2 months later...

I have been having similar problems.

I have all my settings set to the recommended levels and I seem to be downloading a lot and getting very little from it.

I just downloaded a 500MB file and I lost about 1.5GB in data.

The worst I have had is a 1.2GB file and about 8GB of wasted data. It's quite frustrating, especially when data costs so damn much!

• 1 year later...

has there been no solution to this?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4762/wtfx.jpg

first time i've gotten it.

i dl'd a 45gb batch previous to this, with < 30mb of hashfail/waste.

im completely baffled as to why there's so much wastage on this torrent, with 0 hashfails. it's constantly leaking, even now. my uL is capped to 50kbps, dl uncapped.

this torrent here, for a f2p game.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_64134.shtml

my friend grabbed it too, to test, and he's consistenly leaking as well.

shitty tracker?

i dont know how to fix this.

local peer discovery, dht, peer exchange is "not allowed", gamershell tracker is the only active tracking. the peerlist he sees is slightly different than the one I see as well. 2 ipv6 stacks, 4 regular peers.

essentially i've downloaded this file > 2 times, and I only have 80% of it completed.

Probably the port 80 web client "lsw-cdn/v0.3" doing the wasted data...as it seems the fastest.

Blocking that with ipfilter.dat would "solve" that problem, though it's extreme to have to do that.

ah yeah, thanks.

removed the webseed & the wastage has stopped.

is this a common problem with web clients?

I'd never encountered this before.

also to note, when i removed that 1 web client, it also disconnected me from 3 other (4/7) seeds, and interpeer communication eventually dried up as well. I'm only getting ~30kbps, even though my frien is seeding the file, and I can see his client, on a line with 1MB upstream.

Archived