Peer Guardian effective?

hrb68

Hi Everybody,

Happy to be part of the utorrent experience. I have been using utorrent for about 4 months now and have found it to be the best and most straightforward client I've yet used. I've followed instructions and have successfully done port forwarding and firewall exceptions, which have worked well. I'm also using AVG free version and was wondering whether I should perhaps put exceptions in those as well. I am unsure how to do this though. Also I have read alot about the effectiveness of programs life Peer Guardian, some people say they are irrelevent and others say they are essential. I downloaded it once and it was a bit too confusing for a beginner like me. Thanks

The *ONLY* thing a blocklist is useful for is blocking hostile peers...and that's only good *IF* you know the peers are hostile.

Peer Guardian's associated blocklists (from BlueTack) block a huge number of dynamic ips on major ISPs. If these were ever hostiles, they almost certainly aren't now...they're likely some average Joe who has one of those ips now. And you'd be blocking him...

If you're really unlucky, you could be in one of those ip ranges.

• 7 months later...

Archived