Append !ut to incomplete files - when?

BPak

How can I make µTorrent append a !ut extension to incomplete files?

This option was added in the 1.3.1 betas. Simply turn on "Append !ut to incomplete files" in Downloads. This will instantly rename ALL incomplete files to have !ut at the end of the filename, regardless of if the torrents are started, stopped, paused, or queued. Turning it off will undo the operation.

-----------------------------------

Why would you want to use this option?

Does it save partially downloaded pieces if closing down?

Under what circumstances would this feature be used?

thanks

isn't english your native language or why are u asking this question?

u would want to use this discribed behaviour if you liek to see with one look if the file "film.avi" in your folder is already downloaded completely or not; "film.avi.!ut"

and µt always saves partially downloaded pieces while closing it no matter what extension you use (IIRC)

Partially downloaded pieces are junked, otherwise you're in hashfail hell. You append !ut if you want, no real reason to use it. It might be a possible way to fix issues with desktop search applications though (have them ignore files of that type).

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

vlc is crap as far as I am concerned, I mean when you need to get some files playing, it won't play them anyway

I got these .ogg files the other day and I got tons of players, nay galore of them on my PC and transcoders and none will play or recode that $%$% extension except one techie prog (called G something, like Gcode maybe) that is really meant just for analyzing codecs LOL

I mean gimme a break and dump that blasted ogg codec to oblivion where it belongs, why some bozos distribute files in that such obscure format that 99 folks out of 100 won't be able to play is beyond my grasp (yes, I downloaded codec supposedly for ogg, some Theora %^& but it didn't make any difference)

this off my chest, I think he is asking where to turn that on, go to Preferences and then to Torrents and there is box there to checkmark to have it do that (append the thing to unfinished files)

vanDivX

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

LOL

ok, I use that feature but I can see why somebody would ask what its for, I suppose its good for simpler people out there not so handy with PCs who see those files there and open them to play them thinking they are complete and they just won't play half the time or may even freeze your progam you open them in, else they complain on forums why is the torrent faulty with incomplete movies or whatever LOL, this way it keeps them outa trouble (that !ut extension)

I suppose I use that extension mainly so I can see at a glance in multifile torrents which parts have been completed and I can look at them right away, without that extension you can't tell unless you go to uTorrent and look under Files tab to scout them out

I think some files, mainly movies are possible to view even in partial state, I think plane jane avis are like that, not sure if mp3s play incomplete, some formats though, mainly movies won't allow viewing at all unless completed and may freeze your player

vanDivX

i find the .ogg file to be pretty kewl. I really enjoy the format. The G something u were saying is GSpot , there are quite a few other alternatives but that's irrelevant. Another thing if you want to is download Media player Classic. That's about it from me.

EDIT by silverfire: You guys all have mental issues with trains of thought. It's absolutely unnecessary to quote the post right before yours. And Firon, when you read this, remember to remove the quote link like we talked about on IRC.

Archived