very low speed all of a sudden!!

animemanga

I sense alot of "defensive" attitude here, anytime anybody says that a version might not be working as well with him, even if he is the minority.

Settings, sure.

Global connections -800

Max connections per torrent - 200

Number of upload slots - 6

All the basic options such as dht, peer exchange etc.

Randomised ports.

PE enabled.

Upload speed set to 80% of my max. Net.max_halfopen set to 48 (patched sys, with max of 50)

I am not a noob. Just this version doesnt go down well with me. Lets see the defenders of utorrent come. :P

By the way, my isp is throttled but with PE enabled on utorrent 1.5, I used to max my connection on well seeded torrents. With 1.6, getting speeds in double digits is a problem.

ps. settings above were obtained for my system and connection after many trials. Suit my connection the best, might not for others, and doesnt mean I need to follow the speed guide. As a matter of fact, I get better speeds than when I set it with the speed guide.

yep all is according to what u say. utorrent is click and run. utorrent is auto allowed in the list.but one thing deeppal how come my speed still sucks and ur's rocket. what else do i need to do?? to get my speed work??

i repeat i don't see the green light that states u network is ok. i see orange and says pros wiv network.

Net.max_halfopen set to 48 (patched sys, with max of 50)

That 48 half-open allowed in µTorrent may be a bit too close to system max of 50. It probably won't cause trouble very often though, as even exceeding the limit by only a little bit is not normally noticeable.

animemanga, we have yet to determine if your settings are indeed suitable for your connection, ISP, and router (assuming you have one). If there's an underlying problem as a result of any combinations, you have given us precious little to go on to tell you what might fix it.

What I know so far:

isp:blueyonder - cable internet provider in UK, you probably have the 2Mbit version

security S: avg anti virus

firewall: previously Zone Alarm, now Win XP's firewall

Even go so far as posting all the advanced settings...or just reset them all to default, as there may be something there causing your problems.

Maybe you have the half-open limits set higher than 8 and the latest Win XP patch reset that, so now you're having trouble?

Maybe when you updated your software firewall now thinks µTorrent's infected with a virus (as its filesize and date changed)?

Maybe your computer has a virus on it that's acting like a proxy server and µTorrent has to connect through it?

Maybe your upload speed is set too high?

µTorrent v1.6 is more aggressive at connecting to ips than v1.5, even when set to the same values...if your hardware was already marginal -- v1.6 might push it over the edge into trouble city, while v1.5 may run just fine...as far as you can see.

Or maybe superman flew onto my roof and was screwing wonderwoman and didnt realise he was screwing on my cable wire. Dude take ur maybes turn it sideways and kiss them. :P

OKok maybe utorrent 1.6 doesnt work for some pple. Is that so hard to digest? Geez.

1.5mbit ADSL connection on standalone PC, no router. downloading at ~110kb/s with 1.5

Accepted the invite to upgrade to 1.6 and my speed is not getting above 40kb. Notice that the total seed count is extremely slow in updating (maybe 1-2 seed per 5 seconds) but the peer count automatically shoots right up into the hundreds like normal.

Checked the ports, no problem with the random port.

Tried torrents from different trackers.

Tried disabling firewall/deleting the exception and re-adding.

Upload speed is unaffected

When I shut it down from the File menu and re-start I often get an error saying "it seems like Utorrent is already running but not responding. please close all utorrent processes and try again" - there is only one instance of utorrent.exe in the task manager....

My good old Azureus install is pulling "normal" speeds".

Any ideas?

Dude take ur maybes turn it sideways and kiss them.

Now LOOK...without some facts from the posters with problems, ALL I can do is give "maybe"s! It's up to the posters with problems to supply us with the standard list of information so we can eliminate common problems.

Even if v1.6 is TOTALLY at fault, being able to duplicate the bug or bug-conditions is critical to fixing it. And that involves alot of what ifs.

My request for more information was actually for the original poster of the thread, although your input was helpful on the matter because you have a similar problem. He's since been banned and not by me or by my suggestion. So if I seemed a little defensive towards him, well...better defensive than hostile.

Considering the lack of any pattern with v1.6 being consistantly worse than v1.5 for some people, the underlying problem is likely something obscure. ...like whether Norton OR Zone Alarm was ever installed on the problem computer, rather than installed currently -- due to a faulty-by-design uninstaller.

It could even be something odd like "resolve IPs" under Peers option (to show who you're connecting to in a particular torrent) that is causing problems. I believe that was normally disabled in v1.5 but enabled by default in v1.6. Of course, if disabling that makes the problems go away...it's still likely to be an underlying problem with the hardware (router/modem/nic card) or software (firewall/antivirus).

Are your upload speeds on torrents with lots of peers consistantly close to the upload speed limit you set in µTorrent? (if not, that's usually a side-effect of an overload either on the line or even in the program) Are the TCP ip-to-ip connections being broken/remade alot? (often the sign of a bad connection, faulty firewall, or ISP BT throttling) What cpu percent is µTorrent sitting on -- and does it ever spike very high -- such as while loading or starting a new torrent? (interfering software, windows being screwy, or bug in v1.6 is usually the cause of that)

The most important problem solver is the one sitting in front of the computer.

Sometimes there isnt anything wrong with the client, and other clients just seem to work better. Or for that matter of fact, other versions of the same client. Like why is it so that some clients give better speeds? Coz they connect better? Connecting to peers is one thing, they giving u speeds is another.

All Im saying is that version 1.6 might not work for some, and thats not the fault of the client, but part and parcel of bittorent. Some clients work, some dont, some versions are better than others for some, and sometimes that same version might be better for someone else.

My system is simple. Windows firewall and no router. Cable connected straight to the com. I dont think any machine can get any simpler. I disabled WF too and the problem persisted. No NAT problem, just getting connected to tons of seeders or peers but not getting the speeds. PE is enabled coz my ISP throttles. However with 1.5, I reach my max speeds on a throttled connection with PE on healthy torrents.

So what does someone assume in this case? That do I upgrade the version coz its the newer version or stick to something that works for me? Nobody is asking anyone to debug version 1.6, Im only stating the fact that people shd be less defensive abt the client and accept that sometimes not everyone is problem free, even if its the minority, its still the same situation as anyone else.

ps. the comment u quoted above was meant as a joke. No hard feelings.

The kinds of crappy speeds people have been getting, I'm more inclinded to believe there's something wrong with µTorrent or on the computer than just being a difference between various BT clients.

I could believe the problem was 'version specific' if someone got 40 KB/sec download speeds on one and 150 KB/sec on another. But the typical complaint is <10 KB/sec when they were previously getting 100+ KB/sec.

I want to know why...and I wish I had a simple fix to offer.

The superman referance was pretty funny actually, but I was annoyed by the line I quoted.

animemanga was pushing me to the point of wanting him banned, even though he probably had a real problem too. (If you've seen his posts in other forums, you probably know why.) It bleed over onto your posts because you posted on this thread.

There has to be something wrong with 1.6 in the way of it has changed SOMETHING. I have re-installed 1.5 after deleting everything utorrent related. All my settings were remembered somehow, same port forwarded and everything. Something changed when I updated and it is still wrong. My speeds fell hard when I updated and after switching back they still stink.

I think alot of people are having this problem, i thought i was the only one. UTOR was working fine with me, and i had amazing speeds in 1.5 going up to 90 KB/s. I'm not sure if 1.6 is the major problem because i first noticed the red light in 1.5, and now i still have one in 1.6. I recently tried to uninstall norton internet security, but to no avail. I have a hawking router 54G, i know how to port forward and it worked in 1.5, but it didnt in 1.6.

Well i hope that someone can come up with a solution. It constantly says that my firewall is blocking utorrent, and i know it isnt.

Also, tried using BitComet and Azereus, same thing (nat error).

Love this program and hopefully everything works out again

Archived