Any method to set up utorrent as a "client" on one computer with a "server" on another.

XOIIO

Hello all, I have a couple rack mount servers which run 24/7, and are also used as network storage.

Now, as I'm sure all of us know, keeping hard drive space clear on your main computer is difficult. This is also partnered with the fact that my main computer is a laptop, and is usually on wifi.

For now, when downloading things, I copy the magnet link, open VNC, and then start it running on the other computer, however, I was thinking there must be a better way, and I am wondering if there is a way to use utorrent as a thin client of sorts.

Basically, you have one installation on one machine, and the installation on the other would have this machine's IP set in, and you would use it normally, downloading, deleting, starting and stopping, etc (except for uploading), but the actual downloading and uploading would take place on the remote machine (on the same network).

It would basically allow utorrent to be a client for the server, giving a seamless way to control your torrenting, but putting the load onto another machine. I'm not sure if double clicking to open the appropriate file would still work, but I usually go to the NAS manually, so it would be no big deal.

There is utorrent remote for mobiles that is kind of similar, but this would basically just be that, but improved.

I might not have explained it very well, I am pretty tired, but if this is an option I would love it, and if not, maybe it's something that could be added in.

Archived