Downloads start high but drop

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong some how. 

When I open uTorrent (V 1.8.7 (41986) my download speed rises quickly to mid hundred MBS, but quickly plummets, finally settling around 9kbs and stays there no matter how I configure the settings. I've fooled around with them quite a bit and as a result have no idea which way is up. I have a VPN and turning it on or off doesn't seem to matter. Is anyone else experiencing this?

ZTQ4s

XT6NQHlwHD

19 minutes ago, DreadWingKnight said:

The connection and queue numbers tell me that you don't actually understand what settings will improve your speeds.

That's true. I've made no effort to deny that and in fact outlined my ignorance on what makes uTorrent work in my original post. Are you able to offer me any help?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. It appears in many cases. The easiest way to reproduce is:

1) download any multi-file torrent file. Serial, for example.

2) double-click on torrent file. Click on "Select none" in file list. Check any single file to download. Click "Ok". Download started.

3) wait for downloading of single file from list is finished. Select the torrent, select "Files" tab in the bottom part of your screen. You will see the files list, one of it is "Normal", all other is "Skip". Select any skipped file, right-click on it, select "Normal priority". Downloading of the next file is started.

Now you can see the downloading starting on the max speed but eventually dropped to 9.5k. Little researching shows next:

1) MacOS is highly loaded with reading from disk. Speed is depending on your disk's max speed. I've attached screenshot from my system. Now I trying to download a file to SD Card. When I downloading to external USB3 disk, the speed is about 20mb/s. When I downloading to SSD, the speed is about 60mb/s.

2) there's some spike on downloading speed (and some drops on reading from disk). See the second screenshot

This problem exists at least for 2 years. I can give you any other information, if it will help.

Alex.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 9.19.20 .png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 9.40.30 .png

5 hours ago, sonnyko said:

I have the same problem. It appears in many cases. The easiest way to reproduce is:

1) download any multi-file torrent file. Serial, for example.

2) double-click on torrent file. Click on "Select none" in file list. Check any single file to download. Click "Ok". Download started.

3) wait for downloading of single file from list is finished. Select the torrent, select "Files" tab in the bottom part of your screen. You will see the files list, one of it is "Normal", all other is "Skip". Select any skipped file, right-click on it, select "Normal priority". Downloading of the next file is started.

Now you can see the downloading starting on the max speed but eventually dropped to 9.5k. Little researching shows next:

1) MacOS is highly loaded with reading from disk. Speed is depending on your disk's max speed. I've attached screenshot from my system. Now I trying to download a file to SD Card. When I downloading to external USB3 disk, the speed is about 20mb/s. When I downloading to SSD, the speed is about 60mb/s.

2) there's some spike on downloading speed (and some drops on reading from disk). See the second screenshot

This problem exists at least for 2 years. I can give you any other information, if it will help.

Alex.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 9.19.20 .png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 9.40.30 .png

Several hours passed. It still works on 9,5k speed with regular spikes. It looks like uTorrent reading for some reason all previous files from this torrent.

24 files for 1.3 gb each. 20 files already downloaded, 1 downloading right now, 3 left.

On Activity monitor on Statistic tabs numbers of faults increased continuously (the last screenshot).

Latest uTorrent 1.8.7, latest MacOS release. Several locations with several WiFi, same behaviours.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 14.44.24 .png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 14.44.34 .png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 14.44.45 .png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 14.51.31 .png

8 minutes ago, sonnyko said:

Several hours passed. It still works on 9,5k speed with regular spikes. It looks like uTorrent reading for some reason all previous files from this torrent.

24 files for 1.3 gb each. 20 files already downloaded, 1 downloading right now, 3 left.

On Activity monitor on Statistic tabs numbers of faults increased continuously (the last screenshot).

Latest uTorrent 1.8.7, latest MacOS release. Several locations with several WiFi, same behaviours.

Stop downloading doesn't help. Restart uTorrent too. uTorrent still heavy loaded with reading from disk.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I am downloading a file size 52GB made of several smaller files with no problem, and another size 3.5GB speeds are in the 1-2MB/sec range. As soon as I added a file size 116GB made up of smaller files, it dropped to 9kb/sec. Stopping the new torrent doesn't change anything, but once I delete the new torrent and all files, the DL speed returns to previous levels. I've seen this issue happen before in the past with larger file sizes.

Archived