Sharp Decline In Speed After Start

Innov

Hi, whenever I start a new torrent, the download rate quickly goes up to a maximum of 8mbps and then quickly drops down to a few kbps. I tried lowering the max download rate to 7000, 6000, 5000; it didn't change anything. I tried using the recommended settings and stuff, nothing is working. Please help, thanks!

EDIT: Avalability is 1.962, for some reason the reply button is not there, so I can't reply

1 hour ago, DreadWingKnight said:

What is the listed availability of the offending torrents?

158 seeders + 26 leechers         <------ my most recent torrent

By the way, it downloaded just fine, but I had to stop and start the torrent every time it went down to a few kbps. It's also probably not an issue with the torrents themselves, because I only download popular torrents (I'm scared that less popular ones might have viruses).

32 minutes ago, DreadWingKnight said:

Then the torrent is just barely available among peers you're connecting to. Not a lot you can really do

OK, but why then does it download very fast at the beginning and start slowing down rapidly?

21 hours ago, PiusX said:

What happens if you try my slackware link and download one of those files and report back what it does. I also have a sneaking suspicion that your ISP is throttling your torrent internet.

I tried downloading on of those (Slackware 14.2 x86 Install ISO disc 1 (A/AP/E/F/N/Y, bootable installer, kernels, extra/, testing/, USB and PXE installers, Slackbook) and it finished in a few minutes at a consistent 7.5 ~ 8 mbps. Also an update on my other torrents that experience the drop in speed: I tried limiting the amount of maximum global connections from 200 to 100 and 50, it helped a little bit. However, it only prolonged the process of going from 8mbps to literally 0.5kbps. After stopping and starting it multiple times, the sharp decline process took anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes. When it took 10 minutes, the maximum speed was consistently 1.5mbps before dropping to virtually no kbps. It seems like the higher the maximum speed gets, the more quickly it declines.

EDIT: towards the end of the 10 minutes, the speed increases to about 3mbps and stays there for a few minutes before spiking to 8mbps and then dropping rapidly to 0.5kbps.

4 hours ago, PiusX said:

Sounds like those torrents doesn't have enough seeders/swarms and probably attributing the the download process. But the slackware stays the constant speed right?

Yes, the slackware downloaded at a consistent, high rate of 7.5 ~ 8mpbs

On 3/16/2017 at 3:36 PM, Innov said:

Yes, the slackware downloaded at a consistent, high rate of 7.5 ~ 8mpbs

Then it's the torrent file problem that doesn't have enough seeders or sharing that leads it to drop off and it's waiting til there are more seeders. Nothing more you can do about it.

Archived