limit tracker communication to configurable port.

sabret00the

i recently tried to tighten up my firewall rules and noticed that as a result i couldn't contact trackers anymore (my bad). in order to fix this problem, i'd like to be able to assign a port for the tracker communication so that i can literally limit my uTorrent to using one or two ports. At the moment the port is uses to query the tracker seems very much random.

The way TCP works is that you just open up an outgoing connecting to whichever port the tracker uses using a low port. The only port you can really control is your incoming port, where other things connect to you from. Unless you want to open up all your low ports that Windows attempts to use for outgoing connections, you'll have to rethink your firewalling strategy.

That's because all other traffic directed to µTorrent is through your incoming port. When your computer establishes connections to another server, it's usually initiating a connection from a low-range port above 1024 to the server's incoming/listen port, which is usually port 80 unless it explicitly says otherwise. The problem with BitTorrent trackers is that they run on alternate ports to coexist with another httpd, so they end up running on ports like 6969, 2710, and other ports.

One way I see that could possibly help you with this is to set a transparent proxy server for all your tracker connections and allow all connections from all ports from your computer to the proxy server's IP:port, and let it go from there and hope that the transparency still the tracker to see your real IP, otherwise, you'll be considered "firewalled" and you end up losing torrent efficiency for the sake of paranoi-- err... security.

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

how so? we were initially talking about localports here, the idea regarding remote ports was later manifest on the fly as i decided i want to limit the outgoing traffic on my machine to my specifications.

given the choice, i have zero requirement for any program to manifest connections to the outside world beyond my control, thus if i decide i want to limit legitimate connections to a certain behaviroual mode. i'm clearly taking precausions deemded nessessary, the fact that if i limit outgoing connections to a single port in uTorrent, i do not lose any speed what so ever with downloads and in fact, i am taking precausions (in some case showing a difference) with uploading slots (and general surfing speeds), tells me, it's not quite as foolish as you make it out to be. instead it's enabling that a program is not hijacking bandwidth beyond what i specifiy.

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

because if i have uTorrent sending info on a port i've dedicated and it sending continual information on another port then it's clearly not doing something it's supposed and in fact the only thing it is doing is hijacking bandwidth that could be used for other purposes.

Then you'll have to ask every program you use to do the same. µTorrent uses the ephemeral port range, like most other applications. It's there for applications to use freely for outgoing connections, why would you want to limit µTorrent only? No, it's not hijacking bandwidth.

Archived