FOUND the cause of Utorrent CRASHING!

joshace

I finally discovered what the cause of Utorrent crashing is... 

Under  OPTIONS / PREFERENCES / ADVANCED / DISK CACHE be sure to UNCHECK the box that says "Override automatic cache size"

Utorrent crashes if you override the automatic cache size, even if you pick the maximum of 1800

I would suggest that the developers either eliminate that option, or put a warning on that option that selecting it can cause Utorrent to CRASH. 

Hopefully someone will appreciate me sharing this golden gem of information. 

utorrent-preventcrashing.jpg

3 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

By default, that option is unchecked.
If you're now happy to let uTorrent manage the cache, one wonders why you overrode that option in the first place...:D
Default options are usually in place for a reason, and overridden at users peril.

That is a GREAT question!

First.. the reason why most people don't have the disaster of constant crashing is because the default is UNCHECKED - which is the setting that works.

Before I bought my new computer that has 128GB of RAM, my previous computer only had 16GB of RAM.  (Ironically.. even today you RARELY find a computer in a retail store with more than 16GB of RAM).

On my 16GB computer, I would often run out of memory.  Because of that, I did everything I could think of to free up more memory, including manually controlling the cache size and reducing the number of torrents I was seeding and other things.  When I did that, things started crashing.  One of the main reasons I spent $4000 on a super computer is to eliminate these problems with 128GB of RAM.  I then increased the cache size to the maximum of 1800.. but.. the program was STILL crashing every 30 minutes!

Since unchecking the box.. and allowing Utorrent to automatically control the cache.. it hasn't crashed even one time!

So.. this crashing problem that has been around for at least 7 years... is the reason why so many people insist on sticking with version 2.2.1 of Utorrent instead of upgrading.. or using Qbittorrent, Bittorrent, Deluge, Transmission, libtorrent, Vuze, and others.. 

There has been a known memory leak in Utorrent under certain circumstances in all versions after 2.2.1 but has never been solved.  

What I found doesn't fix the leak, but it does AVOID it.  

One reason I bring this up is because it looks like TronTV has been removed from build 45397.  TronTV was not to blame for the crashes.  That override of the automatic caching was the culprit.  

When do I get my lifetime supply of Turtle Wax and a case of Rice-A-Roni - The San Francisco Treat as a prize? 

By the way.. some of the defaults in the program are awful.. which is why RAFI's settings are so useful.  

Obviously, the current developers don't even know what many of the options do.. otherwise this 7 year nightmare of crashing with the cache override would have been fixed many years ago.  I doubt they fix it even now. That is typical of computer software.  A program is written.. and over time features are added.. and often introduce problems.. which never get fixed.  Surprisingly, Bittorrent has the same problem with the override as Utorrent does.  

This isn't because the developers are incompetent.. because they have made a LOT of improvements to Utorrent since 2.2.1.  A LOT of improvements.. and one whoopsie.  

On 11/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, joshace said:

So.. this crashing problem that has been around for at least 7 years... is the reason why so many people insist on sticking with version 2.2.1 of Utorrent instead of upgrading.. or using Qbittorrent, Bittorrent, Deluge, Transmission, libtorrent, Vuze, and others.. 

Not sure where your utorrent been doing but no crashing problem for me and I am still using 2.0.4

There has been a known memory leak in Utorrent under certain circumstances in all versions after 2.2.1 but has never been solved.  

Glad I stayed with 2.0.4 no issue and works just fine after trying v3 when it first released I dumped it went to 2.0.4 and never looked back.

This isn't because the developers are incompetent.. because they have made a LOT of improvements to Utorrent since 2.2.1.  A LOT of improvements.. and one whoopsie.  

Improvements more like more malware and adware became more bloatware with v3 that is a Fact. If one changes from default when it worked then it's not really a software issue to a extent.

For many years, I have wondered why there were so many questions posted in this forum, but very few good answers.

I now understand why.   People love to complain.  They would rather complain and argue rather than fix a problem.  I provided EXTREMELY valuable information.. but instead of getting any appreciation at all, I get none.. in fact, I get arguments instead. 

The typical argument is someone saying "I'm going to keep using the ancient version 2!"  Heaven forbid that the people making Utorrent should make a penny out of it with advertisements.   For $5 a YEAR, you can removed all the advertisements.  If you download one thing a year via Utorrent, it has already paid for itself.

For those people so in love with version 2.  You people obviously don't SEED files and are just leeches.  If you seeded thousands of torrents like I do (people like me are why torrents work, by the way). then you would appreciate the changes made in version 3.  In version 2, if your computer crashes with thousands of torrents, you can expect to spend several weeks re-checking your torrents before they are usable again.  With version 3, instead of weeks it typically takes much less than 1 day. 

As for malware.. beware old versions of uttorrent.  There are a lot of "modified" versions of Utorrent 2.2.1 with malware attached to them.  Utorrent no longer distributes version 2.2.1 - so anybody downloading that version is getting a copy from some unreliable, unauthorized source who is most likely baiting you with downloading their "special edition" which has malware attached to it. 

• 3 months later...

Archived