Utorrent kills my web browsers

lefty

Whenever I use Utorrent it is almost impossible to browse. I have tried both Opera and IE but just as slow on both of them. It is really weird because I have no speed problem with my torrents and when I ping the sites I am trying to visit they are pretty low. Even when I log onto my router it is slow. Anyone know why this is happening?

I don't know if people are still having problems with uTorrent killing the whole internet connection, but here goes my personal solution.

For about a month past now, uTorrent suddenly began killing my internet connection after leaving it uploading/downloading for about 30 minutes to an hour (solely on my computer, I have a router, my dad's connection remained intact, mine died). I tried everything I read on these forums, nothing helped at all. That tcpip patch ended up being bs on my side, the half-open connections idea was the same result, lowering global connections was the same thing, disabling DHT and UPNP is a must do, but regardless of whether they were enabled or not, the connection would still die.

So I looked at my router's (d-link 524a, isp = sbc yahoo dsl) log and I kept seeing a bunch of dropped udp/tcp packets, and even a "ping of death" once. I think these are pretty self-explanatory. The pinging, or overloading of, by other people trying to connect to me through utorrent was causing my router to go all kinds of crazy.

Well, to put this simply, I had no firewall whatsoever active or installed, xp firewall was disabled, I had no software firewall, the router and modem firewalls were disabled; all I had running for security was nod32. So I decided "man wtf, let me install a firewall, maybe windows and my router aren't handling utorrent's connection well". I installed zonealarm free edition and now my connection is stable, I still see some dropped packets in the log, but I imagine this is just because of the internet traffic getting slightly bottlenecked.

So there you have my personal solution, install zonealarm free. Haha. Funny how installing a firewall would fix this. Also, one thing to note is that, I DO have my port forwarded on my tcp/ip settings, maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, I haven't taken the time to determine either or, I don't think I care though, you'd be well off to forward the utorrent port regardless.

iv'e just removed zone alarm and disabled dht and I,ve seen a tenfold increase in performance. Not sure which of my two actions did it but I,m leaving it alone now. I was getting a ridiculous amount of peer disconnects, and now i get none.

I also found the utorrents optimizer extremely helpfull. I have a 4mbits connection I reduced my upload to 32kBs and can browse and email easily now while getting reasonable download speeds.

@jeps1lon: It isn't anything against ZoneAlarm when we say it's no good around here. I've used ZoneAlarm for years (well, I uninstalled it in the previous months), and it didn't turn against me, but it's tempermental, and works for some people, but not others. As such, I can't recommend it to other people, and have to recommend that they uninstall it because of the problems it causes for some people.

@lefty: That's probably because connections are more actively being made when downloading than when seeding. Patching TCPIP.sys really didn't help at all? It's odd, as doing so is *essentially* the same thing as lowering the net.max_halfopen (comes to the same conclusion anyway -- more halfopen connections available for other internet-enabled applications).

Archived