Why are there so many unused connections?

Robin

Hey. I've always wondered why the unused connections on the Peers-list always outnumber the active one's. I'm dl: ing through a DI-624 router which can't take too many connections, so having 75 % connections that seem to do no good ain't no fun, i can tell You. Can i modify this?

I've tried that. I'm running 2 torrents with only 50 connections. Still there's only 2-4 peers per torrent that actually download or upload, the rest is filled with the unused one's. It was a long time ago i used another torrent client, but i don't think that BitComet, for example, handled connections any good either. This seems to be a big "problem" in general with torrenting. People just don't know/care about it.

No, no, 50 global. My point is that NO MATTER how many connections set, torrent clients seem to waste at least 50 % of those. 1000 connections on ONE torrent would give it a faster dl speed than with 100 connections since there simply is more active peers. But uTorrent still "connects" to way many more peers on every torrent that doesn't seem to do anything, neither upload nor download from, than it does to peers that it DOES upload or download from.

If i'm downloading the content of one torrent with uTorrent with a global connection set to 100 i'll get maybe 30 peers that i actually download from or upload to, if i'm lucky. If i lower the global connections to 10, i'll get maybe 3 active peers. There's a huge waste!

You probably are just choosing bandwidth-starved torrents for your examples, since not all torrents behave that way.

OpenOffice Torrents will give you different behavior than the ones you've been testing with.

Run one torrent at a time and increase the number of upload slots and see what kind of an effect that has.

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

http://bittorrent.org/protocol.html

I've noticed differences between torrents and trackers, but i've been torrenting for years and there has always been a lot a waste present. Especially with uTorrent. The reason why there are so many unused connections is a mystery to me, but i'm sure it has something to do with the coding of the clients themselves. It must be possible for the authors to simply force the unused connections to drop after some time to leave space for active one's, or at least NOT use up precious connections that crash some routers.

What is so mysterious about it?

Your client has limited number of upload slots, and the clients you are connected have them too. Your client has limited upload speed, and the clients you are connected too. Its obvious you can't exchange data with all the others, at least not at once - so they are connected and waiting for "better times". In a perfect world, you would eventually go round-robin with everyone, but because of the internet heterogeneousity with some peers you will have excellent transfers all the time, and with some you will be unable to exchange any data at all.

BTW, unused connections are being dropped all the time - after 300 seconds of their inactivity though.

I know how queues etc. work, i've been downloading stuff with dousins of apps. Could You possibly also tell me why different clients handle connections with the very same torrent different "enough" to have completely different speeds of downloading and reacting with the peers?

Isn't it possible to simply code a torrent client to send and recieve data about where in the queue each client is like once a minute, instead of occupy a connection per every "idle" peer?

I don't know about You, but these unused peer-slots barely make it possible to surf the internet, even though they barely send any data. Any amount of connections FROM uTORRENT SPECIFICALLY above 50 can mess up alot, and that's from an unmodified version of this client.

They have no effect on my browsing capabilities, but I'm using a WRT54G v1 with 3rd party firmware as a router and cfosspeed on my computer.

Isn't it possible to simply code a torrent client to send and recieve data about where in the queue each client is like once a minute, instead of occupy a connection per every "idle" peer?

You disconnect from a peer, you're out of their queue. BitTorrent isn't like emule.

"You disconnect from a peer, you're out of their queue. BitTorrent isn't like emule."

Well, there are torrent clients which are easier on routers, but i don't know what kind of techniques they use or what the real difference is between clients plain technically either.

Guess this router don't work well with uTorrent, somehow.

The reason why there's so many idle peers+seeds is they're often running multiple torrents at once with very limited upload speeds. Also lots of people run with 100+ connections total. They may not even be able to download FROM you at any useful speed due to being overloaded by setting upload speed to 'unlimited'.

You need to BALANCE your upload slots versis your upload speed. If not, MOST peers will send you little or nothing!

I find the sweet spot to be 3-10 KB/sec upload speed PER upload slot. If you're running multiple torrents at once, this means upload slots per torrent TIMES the number of torrents you're running!

At less than 3 KB/sec per upload slot, other peers who are probably uploading faster than you get the "lion's share" of that peer's own upload bandwidth...so your download speed from them is slow at best. (Below ~1 KB/sec per upload slot, you'd even be breaking specifications within the BitTorrent Protocol!)

At more than 10 KB/sec per upload slot, few peers have enough upload bandwidth to return the favor -- so you may have 2 upload slots at 12 KB/sec each...and getting only 5 KB/sec back from both those peers for 10 KB/sec download speed total!

Archived