µTorrent may impair download manager applications

lethedoom

When I try to use 'Free Download Manager' or the Firefox extension 'Down Them All' when µTorrent is running the other software behaves erratically. Is it possible that µTorrent borrows or takes over their dll for its own use? I am not expert enough to be sure whether this is what is happening, so I hope you can see if the problem replicates. I usually have bandwidth left when

downloading torrents with µTorrent and want to use conventional downloading simultaneously, but this problem is barring me from efficient download manager use.

that's not utorrent's problem.. that's how windows manages bandwidth and connections.. u can use software like cfosspeed to improve the way bandwidth is distributed for applications.. u can make FDM have a higher priority over utorrent so that it gets better speeds.. also, u can limit the speed in utorrent and the number of connections to improve your experience with other software

You are probably correct, but the derangement I found was not related to speed: the download managers started to download previously downloaded files instead of the newly selected target file when µTorrent was running. When I uninstalled Free Download Manager I could not manually delete its dll file which Windows Add/REmove Programs left until I exited from µTorrent. That is what made me believe one application was impairing the other rather than Windows being inadequate to the task.

What was happening by the sound of it was Free Download Manager put its DLLs DEEP in the Win OS and forced µTorrent to work through those DLLs -- which would explain why you'd need a reboot to sort itself out after uninstalling.

Any 3rd party (proprietary?) DLLs that µTorrent is forced to use...is likely to cause trouble and should not be treated as a desireable condition even if nothing obviously bad seems to be happening.

Archived