Running as a service

ot

@Inf: Agreed. Not to mention it would be a one-of-a-kind feature for µTorrent (I personally haven't seen another Bittorrent client do this).

XBT Client supports this (with a web interface and command line interface, under both Linux, Windows and other Unix-like OSs).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

my computer is on 24/7, but other people are using it so I eventually get logged off. problem is that only I have permissions to access the partition where downloads are going, and if I am not there to log in after someone gets logged off, torrents will suffer :D

I would like to see an option to run uTorrent as service as well. And i mean as a "native" service, not using srvany or a similar helper app.

Define native? Who really cares if a helper app starts it as a service.. If you think of it in another way.. all apps are started by a helper app. its called WINDOWS. heck, windows starts another helper app (exploerer) that most people use to start their apps.. Apps start other apps all the time. What's the big problem with it?

cjard, by native i mean processing the windows service commands (SERVICE_CONTROL_START, SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP etc) by itself, being able to interact with the current user by itself despite the fact it is running on local system account etc. Not really a definition, but i think you DO get what i mean.

There are following problems running ut as a service using a helper service app:

* you wont be able to interact with ut

* the helper service needs to stay in memory, hence wasting resources without any need

* if something goes wrong and ut crashes, it depends on the helper service if it restarts ut or not, with native service you simply configure it using standard service config

* it depends on the helper service to report the right service status to windows

Wasnt it more than enough ?

THis is a very good idea. As has already been said. This would work woonders for the multi-user invironment. I'm the onlyone with access to my torrent partition, but I get logged off whenever my wife uses the computer. The service should be run natively (it handles the commands it recieves as it wants to), should have a GUI that can work both on the local machine and over a LAN, should have a boss-mode-like way to open the GUI when a user is logged in so that people who shouldn't mess with uTorrent don't know how to, and should be able to run with permissions from a given user (assuming that user provides uTorrent with the correct password in the preferences).

+∞ if possilbe (+1 if not)

Why would you integrate some program more tightly with OS than it is necessary? I know examples from antivirus software - they integrate with system so much, that when something goes wrong, and you are not able to uninstall antivirus you just have to format hard drive - happened to me. And that's why I hate programs, which integrate when not necessary – if implemented it should be build as optional feature (off by default).

• 3 weeks later...

+1 Esspecially with the new weg gui coming up. I also have a dedicated windows 2003 server running. This would compliment my set up.

All people that are against: there are no downsides to this option. I was using torrentflux but with the newest releases it became to buggy. I now use azueur but the new web ui from utorrent looks far better. if next to that the option "run as a service" is integrated, i'm surely gonna use utorrent.

+1

The only people that are against this seem to be people that wouldn't need to enable it as a service in the first place.

If you wouldn't use this feature then it doesn't really have anything to do with you, as it wouldn't be on by default.

ATM I am in a single-user environment, but in the future I can definitely see using this.

The only concern I have is if you had it as a service, then another user was logged on and needed to use something bandwidth intensive (such as a game), there should be some sort of priority system that would shift bandwidth from µtorrent to the bandwidth intensive program.

People say there's no downsides to this fix, and they're right. I guess it's more a question of priority - there's other stuff which could be seen as more important.

Although I guess once the webui is out into public release, running as a service would make sense.

Archived