cFosSpeed

Pwnage

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cFos/speed is godsend, I've been using it for a long time and would highly recommend it to anyone that likes to use their computer for playing games, browsing the internet or whatever all while having your P2P applications running full blast with no limits in place. It manages the internet traffic to a point that keeps ping times low and prioritizes non-p2p traffic keeping web pages responsive and using the ping priority mode while downloading at full speed will keep latency dependent games like CS:S playable.

note:

Leave all p2p app at lowest priority this is what makes the internet usable while doing the upload/download!

Always use latest version of the cFos/speed

Use ping priority mode if doing very fast download and want to play a game.

Be sure to add program if they are not already listed in the options->priorities dialog box with proper priority

cFos/speed work for all broadband connections

I have seen installations that just didn't work I don't know why but they didn't so if its not working it may be as simple as restarting or reinstalling and restarting.

You don't need to add browsers, FTP, or e-mail clients, and most of the commonly used programs (including utorrent.exe) are already in the list. So make sure it's not in the list before adding any, and don't alter existing priorities. ;)

But yeah, make sure P2P apps are set to lower priority.

• 4 weeks later...

May someone explain the difference between setting the priority to bandwidth vs. setting the priority to favor ping time?

Come to think of it, may someone explain to me what ping is? The wiki explanation is too much for me to understand.

Does setting p2p programs/utorrent to higher priorities gives better speed on the torrent programs or should I follow the recommendations and just set it to lower priorities?

I don't play online games btw while utorrent is running.

• 6 months later...

Just added this little programme to my system tonight, and running some basic tests it certainly seems to work.

Running version 3.01 on XP through a linksys WRT54G (yeah, I know) with uTorrent and Peerguardian. Maximising ping for bandwidth, factory settings on cFos.

Using a web service provider's "speedtest" to check activity, and fortunately they have a server right up the road from me, so I get a very small number of hops to their machines. (speakeasy.net/speedtest)

With cFos off, and uTorrent at 80% of upload, the speedtest showed me with less than 100kB/s on 5 separate tests for upload.

With cFos on I ranged from 200-240 kB/s upload on 10 tests, and could visibly watch the speed of uTorrent drop during the uploads. Based on this overt, obvious test I'd say the programme works. All I need to do, now, is manage to get it to work on a multi-machine wireless system...

This got my curiosity aroused so my questions are, should I try CFOSspeed? and if so should QOS packet scheduler be removed? and as I have a Linksys WRT54GS router are any settings necessary in the router? The router is primarily used to communicate with my sons PC and a rare connect to the internet, and I believe (falsely?) it acts as a firewall to a degree. Anyway it appears not to cause any problems as I have tried removing it and seen no changes.

Thanks in advance, and although I ask a lot of questions here I am learning many things so I appreciate the time and patience of all those who respond.

Currently, cFosSpeed doesn't work across the network, only on your computer (though that will change soon, IINM). Since multiple computers are on your network, you want a QoS solution that can handle traffic from all computers -- your router does that job just fine. Best to stick to your router's QoS, IMHO.

And what do you mean by your router acting falsely as a firewall? If anything, the router's firewall is better than any software firewall you can put on your computer.

I was implying that I was uncertain of the routers ability to act as a firewall.

Looking at the routers QOS feature it appears that it allows a priority to be given one computer over another, but in my case 99.99% of the time only one computer is connected to the internet, and when then other computer is running and connected to the router it most often is only used to move files from one computer to the other and not access the internet. That's why I thought cFosSpeed might be applicable in my situation, and as I often have difficulty using Firefox when running uTorrent. It was under the impression that cFosSpeed would try to allow both programs to have a better shared access. And still curious about the necessity of the WinXP QOS being needed or not?

Oh, your router's firewall is more than capable of blocking unauthorized incoming connections. About Windows XP QoS... it's worthless, and does nothing of any real use.

About cFosSpeed... its utility is greatly diminished if your computer isn't the only computer on the network, as it can't compensate for the other computers on the network -- something the router can do because it's at the center of the network.

• 2 years later...

This program is now updated to version 4.24. Someone recommended it, thanks for providin feedback about this software. I hope it will help in monitoring download and upload usage so to be able to track leakages and use by malware and other things.

• 1 year later...

Archived