D/load throttles upload

stevvi

I have a 2Mb down 256k up connection. Most torrents I d/load seem to d/load at about 50-60kb/s when I cap my upload at 214Kbs but today I thought I'd see what happened if I d/loaded a well seeded torrent and my usual stuff. As soon as the d/load speed went about about 100Kb/s my upload speed stafrted decreasing until it got to about 10Kb/s when I was d/loading at 200+Kb/s

Is that normal?

Of course this is normal. When you download anything, you need to send acknowledgement packets called 'acks' and that takes up upload bandwidth. So the faster you download, the more acks you need to send, which uses more of your upload speed, decreasing the amount available to everything else. That's why the recommended settings are to cap both your upload and download to 80% of you maximum.

Thanx for the replies. As mentioned, I already allow of the 80% rule by setting my upload cap to 24Kb/s. Right now I am d/loading at 220Kbs/ and mu upload has fallen from 24Kb/s to about 5-10Kb/s since starting the well seeded torrent. That seems excessive as it's using about 22-27Kb/s instead of the 10-15Kb/s you mention.

So... is there anything I can tinker with to get this more efficient? Are my packets/sckd etc. getting screwed up somewhere thus using more bandwidth to get through.

Does anyone else have this "problem".

Cheers.

I'm getting the same here. I use uTorrent since a few days. Before uTorrent I used Burst. Now, when I download a torrent all my seeds are going down to zero. Burst didn't do this: even at full download speed Burst managed to sustain a good upload speed. Now I'm having realy trouble in getting my u/d ratio right.

In all the cases where several seeds are going down to zero I see that there are peers who want something from me, but the upload stays 0.

Is there something wrong with the upload routine from uTorrent??

EA

@Ironboyzz

Burst is now really old. It uses a lot of resources: it is memory and cpu hungry. I don't think the program is actually being worked on. But, it did it's job right. Indeed it uses Shadow BT.

I personally love the resource footprint of utorrent. It does almost nothing to my system. If only I understand why it doesn't do the uploads right.

@ColdArmor: No initial ban, was running for almost a wk. Ratio stats fine and mine are 2+ on trkr so no action on my part.

Trkr owner didn't even know of UT. Sent him the forum URL. Maybe that will put a jump in for UT support!

Thanks for the moral support all. Good trkr, too bad!

Still UTing away! Best BT client I've seen!

Archived