Recommended Ports

Alexd

hi guys i have been using thiss app for a few days and it eally good the only thing i can remotly critisize is these dam listening errors i get and nat errors, i dont believe it down to be with firewalls or routers or anythign as i have tryed all the suggestion in this forum.

however i believe my problem lies within the ports i use can anyone please tell me what ports tehy reccomend?

use a nice high port, also if ur router is crashing often check to see if theres any newer firmwares available. i bought a fairly ok 4 port router but the oringal firmware was S***e. luckily there was other firmwares that worked with my model router so i ended up flashing it and putting on a completely different companies firmware and now it runs like a dream.

Alexd, this is so typical of firewall/router misconfigurations. The only other alternative would be your ISP blocking ports so changing them might work. I honestly don't think ISPs do much of that any longer as it's become very easy to circunvent. But it's a big world and I can't generalize.

It's always good to double check these configurations, there are too many details that are far often overlooked.

Are you using UPnP? For UPnP to work a lot of conditions must be met.

=> Your OS must support it (some people disable WinXP UPnP service as a preventive security measure).

=> Your software firewall must be UPnP compatible (AFAIK, only Kerio and Windows Firewall are).

=> Your router must be UPnP compatible.

=> It must be enabled in uTorrent and in your router. Maybe even your software firewall.

Did you check random port but are NOT using UPnP? Are you using Windows firewall concurrent with some other third party firewall? Did you port forward to the correct LAN IP? Is the protocol allowed at least TCP?

Depending on your needs, you can set your port to some high number. Some trackers ban the use of common P2P ports such as the ones used by BitTorrent. So you're more than likely have to use a different port.

As to what port to use, that depends on your personal preference. Before, I simply prefixed a 1 to the usual BitTorrent port and used that. Some sites recommend using a random/user-defined port from 49152 to 65535 which IANA say is for general use (anything goes) and is not likely to be reserved for some specific use. Simply use whatever port you choose to use.

And then there's the UPnP thing... of which I won't touch on since I do not use it.

Archived