Files Tab display incorrect

nc2005

If you choose to skip some files from a torrent which has multiple files, then, once you refresh/switch away and then back to the files tab, it will show files marked "skip" as being downloaded. This issue has been there since I first tried µTorrent quite some time back.

To reproduce this bug:

1. Open a torrent which has multiple files (50-100) in stop mode.

2. Select all files in the files tab and right-click and select "Don't Download" from the context menu.

3. Select some files (any order) and right-click and select "Normal Priority" from the context menu.

4. Start the torrent (start download)

5. Switch away from the files tab to any other (general, peers etc)

6. Switch back to the files tab after some parts of the download have started and you will see that files marked skip are displayed as being downloaded.

You can also select to sort on any column in the files tab and the display changes to show skipped files being downloaded.

This seems to be just a display bug. The files are downloaded as per the initial settings. The problem is, in case you want to download some more files from the same torrent later, then you have no clues about the actual files being downloaded or skipped from the display. You have to check the physical files on disk for that.

The point is, let's say a torrent has 50 files. I choose to d/l files 5 to 10. When I switch the tab/focus and then back to the files tab, the files which should be skipped have progress bars and d/l speeds and status which should not be. Only the files selected for d/l should have the d/l state not files marked as "skip".

Now, if I want to add files 3 to 4 to the download as well, I really don't know from the display as to what is happening. They are marked "skip", but the progress bar shows some progress (pieces) in the d/l. Unless I check the files download on disk, I cannot say whether or not utorrent is actually downloading those files. As far as the display is concerned, it shows the pieces progress bar with some completion even though the file is marked "skip" and therefore should not display anything downloaded in the pieces (or other) columns.

Since the actual files downloaded are the correct ones, i.e., not marked "skip", this is definately a display bug once you shift focus from the files tab and then go back to it later.

They are marked "skip", but the progress bar shows some progress (pieces) in the d/l.

As ludde said...if they overlap (pieces of 2 or more files in the same segment) they will download

That is not a bug...Azureus does that as well...(as, I'm sure do other clients with that ability) besides...anything else wouldn't make sense

Think about it...some big torrents come with a segment size up to 4MB

Of course chances are, that at least one of these "Monster pieces" contains parts of 2 or more files

So in order to completely load the files you wanted, sometimes you'll have to deal with some unwanted content as well

That's just how things work with the BT protokoll

-DG

Archived