Linksys WRT54G wireless router port forward issue

confundido

I have tried different ways to get port to forward with my laptop to no avail. I have a desktop and a laptop. I setup the desktop to forward without any problems using Lynksys WRT54G, so the connection icon is always green . When trying to do the same with the laptop it does not seem to work. My ip address is 192-168-1-101 and laptop's is 192-168-1-100 which is the setting I entered on the port forward screen at the linksys site. I can not get bot the pc and laptop to show green. It's either one or the other. What I'm doing wrong ? Please help.

I,m still confused. New at this so want to make sure I do this right. Are there step by step instructions on this site as to how to set up a pc and laptop to port forward using the Linksys wrt54g wireless router ? Up to know I think I'm supposed to setup "static" ip addresses for both but then what are the setting I should anter at the linksys port forward site ? 192.168.???????? this the part that really confuses me. Thanks.

Linksys routers will refuse to port forward (other than with UPnP) to IP addresses within their DHCP range (*.100-*.149 by default).

Since when? It worked perfectly fine back when I was still using DHCP on my WRT54G (PC was always on though, so I never changed IPs).

Control panel has a entry for starting IP address range: You can use 192.168.1.1 and then use .2 .3 etc. for you static IPs.

As 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway address for Linksys routers, you'll want to start from .2 :).

It's odd indeed that it worked for people before (forwarding to an IP inside DHCP), but the fact that setting the IP outside of the DHCP range helps in fixing port forwarding issues is a pretty good indication that it's pretty much how Linksys routers work.

Archived