Utorrent setup followed by IP problems

kernow

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this, and thanks in advance to any help offered.

Yesterday I downloaded utorrent and followed the instructions to set up the port forwarding for the Scientific Atlanta cable wireless router I am using.

All was well and things were downloading but when I returned to my computer a few hours later my internet connection was down and for the life of me I could not connect to my router. My other computer was fine, so there was no problem with internet or router, the computer with utorrent could not acquire an IP address which presumably was somehow the result of manually inputting the static IP settings.

However, even after putting the settings back on auto, and trying various ways of getting it working, eg. the repair function, deleting the connection, resetting the router, restarting, I could still not acquire an IP address and could not access the router setup page.

The only way I found of getting the connection working again was using system restore so now I am obviously hesitant to reconfigure utorrent before understanding what went wrong last time and how to fix it.

Anyone had similar problems or can point me in the right direction on this one?

Thanks again!

Hello,

I have now searched thoroughly through the forum and used the FAQ but cannot find anything that is the same as my problem.

To reiterate:

Utorrent was at first functioning entirely properly. A few hours later my wireless connection was lost and I could not reconnect to the router (had limited/no connectivity warning), stating "could not acquire IP address", even after resetting TCP/IP settings to auto. The only way to reconnect was to use system restore.

As per your link: Running Windows XP, using avast antivirus, ISP Megacable Mexico, though as utorrent was working originally it will be a problem with the router/my computer wireless settings. My wireless cable router is Scientific Atlanta DPR2320R2.

Can anyone help?

Use very conservative settings in µTorrent, and make sure you've done everything in the above-mentioned link to reduce overhead/problems.

Unless you know what your connection speeds are both down and up, you cannot set proper limits in µTorrent.

Hello again,

Thanks for your continued advice... The other computer was working fine when the utorrent pc had no connection, which makes me think that setting the static ip for utorrent somehow messed up the relationship between the computer and the router that could not be resolved, but I'm just guessing.

Supposedly I am on a 1.5meg cable connection but in reality Megacable Mexico is much poorer, I've just done a speed test and it comes back with a download speed of around 200kb/s and upload of 300kb/s but this varies and it is a peak time at the moment and so is working slowly.

Archived