delayed hashcheck (startup behaviour)

dAbReAkA

ever had a powercut, manual reset, BSOD or any other type of "inconvenience"?

next time utorrent starts (windows startup) it will check all the torrents that were downloading at the time it occured..

let's say u have 5-10 other programs (and lots of windows services..) to start at that time, but the hashcheck is so intensive and so long that it may take several minutes or more for the whole system to load (yeah happened to me several times in the past few days - p4 2,6@2,89, 1.5gigs of ram, .. - a fairly modern system i would say).. last time it happened (yesterday), i expected that, so i immediately opened uT from the tray and tried to pause the hashchecks, but the GUI locked for more than 10 seconds due to the intensive hashchecks, various programs trying to start..

so what i'm asking for is a way of detecting if the current instance of utorrent is a "startup one", and if it is, it will delay all the hashchecks for let's say 15-20 seconds so that the whole system can load properly.. i guess a simple of way of detection would be "looking at" the system uptime and if it's less than e certain value - delay the hashchecks

You could create a batch file with the code below. Assuming 172.122.19.132 is a IP that doesn't exist in your lan (not likely because the 172. local ranges are almost never used) and the 60000 is the delay in milliseconds.

Open notepad and save the code below to a file with the extension .bat and make a shortcut to it in the startup folder of your start menu. (Disable µtorrent's own automatic startup)

PING 172.22.19.132 -n 1 -w 60000 >NUL
%programfiles%\utorrent\utorrent.exe

that's different.. i can think of various other ways of doing that.. i can even write my own program that waits 15 seconds, starts ut and exits..

it's just different.. i dont mind ut running immediately on startup doing it's stuff (seeding, leeching).. i just dont like it hashchecking right after it was started..

haha, funny.. i had a powercut 10 minutes ago and it did the same thing now.. 10 gigs of data to be checked at startup.. painful :)

Archived