Yellow Triangle

Hi i am having trouble downloading files using uTorrent 1.6.1

I currently have my fire wall turned off, i am running Kaspersky 6.0

I have a Dell router

I download at about 10 kb/second, however at this time i am downloading at 0 kb/second.

Could someone please help me as to why i am not able to download anything

Every once in a while Kaspersky will pop up a window saying that "uTorrent can not access ip 25.205.???.??? (dont have the exact ip)"

any help would be appreciated. thanks

I download at about 10 kb/second, however at this time i am downloading at 0 kb/second.

Without knowing the details of the torrent you're trading and how long this has been going on, it's impossible to pin down whether its a setting problem, a torrent problem, a port problem, a you-need-to-restart problem -- or no problem at all.

Sometimes peers just don't trade with you, and you have to wait awhile.

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 Firewall Rules for µTorrent

[utorrent.exe]

App=[YOUR PATH]

CommandLine=

UseCommandLine=0

Name=DNS Service

Enable=1

Allow=1

Log=0

Warning=0

Protocol=UDP

Direction=OutboundStream

RemotePort=53

Name=Allow TCP Connections [inbound] ([YOUR PORT])

Enable=1

Allow=1

Log=0

Warning=0

Protocol=TCP

Direction=InboundStream

LocalPort=[YOUR PORT]

Name=Allow TCP Connections [Outbound] (Ephemeral)

Enable=1

Allow=1

Log=0

Warning=0

Protocol=TCP

Direction=OutboundStream

LocalPort=1024-5000

Name=Allow UDP Packets [All] (Ephemeral, [YOUR PORT])

Enable=1

Allow=1

Log=0

Warning=0

Protocol=UDP

Direction=InboundOutbound

LocalPort=1024-5000, [YOUR PORT]

Where [YOUR PATH] should be replaced with the full path to your µTorrent executable, and [YOUR PORT] is replaced with the port µTorrent listens on. Save the above (with the proper information filled in) as a INI file, and import it into Kaspersky's firewall rules. Works for me without hiccups.

sorry dont mean to sound dumb, im not too familiar with torrents.

now it is a red explanation point and it says that a firewall is limiting my connection and i need to open up a port. any help on that???

and to Ultima, im guessing what your telling me to do is to cut and paste that text into notepad and save it as an INI file after editing the [YOUR PORT] part of it, correct?

And how do i find out what to put in the [YOUR PORT] section, cause i have no clue what port number to put in their.

again sorry for being stupid

The path to µtorrent is c:\program files\utorrent by default on a international/english version of windows XP.

To be sure: R-click on the shortcut to µtorrent and chose properties. Now press the Find Target... button and look at the adres bar of the explorer window that is opened. That is the path.

The port can be found in µtorrent itself by looking for the number next to 'Port used for incoming connections' in the Connection part of the µtorrent preferences.

Regards my suggestion: uTorrent can only trade data as fast as its slowest bottleneck. Most emphasis is on internet connections, but if the hard-drive upon which data is being saved also has performance issues, then speeds will suffer accordingly. Virus-scans and defragmentation utilities reduce the speed at which data can be read or saved from a hard-drive. Defragmentation utilities in particular can take hours or days to run their course. In my particular case, it resulted in my speeds declining to one-quarter or one-third of best levels (and the reduction percentage would have been even more hideous if my internet connection had been relatively faster).

Advice for all non-mobile people: Set up a home network with a 100baseT router, and put your download folder on a networked machine's shared drive. That machine will do nothing except host that hard-drive, and will be pretty much stripped of all other software. A cheap used Pentium III tower is perfect for such work.

Archived