"uTorrent and software firewalls settings" thread [SPLIT DISCUSSIONS]

Firon

Ignore the perfunctory and useless comments such as "uninstall it". Norton Internet Security works perfectly fine for the vast majority of people, despite the fact that it's a large bloated application.

I've *never* had a problem with NIS and uTorrent. All I did was allow uTorrent access to the Internet when prompted by Norton, and all has been fine ever since.

There are other issues, such as opening/forwarding the correct ports on your router, configuring your upload limits, and patching your TCPIP.SYS file that are the real things you should be looking at.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And somehow NIS2005 and below were notorious around here for not allowing µTorrent even though there were specific rules set up to allow µTorrent through the firewall. And Windows Firewall does not need to be disabled if the firewall settings were not changed in µTorrent -- that firewall definitely allows applications through.

• 1 month later...

I got a problem with my personal firewall sygate everytime i execute utorrent it blocked all connection making the status display red icon!!! But there is a connection established only that

there is no port open for the other person to connect, can anyone give me a solution how to fix

this...thx alot

jsillup wrote:

Rhamhoy,

I am running µTorrent 1.5, cFosSpeed v2.13.1085, Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2006, and getting good torrent speeds without any problem. Make sure your NIS Firewall configuration for µTorrent program contains two rules: an Inbound rule to permit TCP and UDP connections from any computer to the single local port your µTorrent is listening on and an Outbound rule to permit TCP and UDP connections to any computer on all ports. It is also necessary to deselect "Stealth blocked ports" in "Advanced security settings" on the NIS Firewall options page, otherwise peers will not be able to make incoming connections resulting in slow download speed and red "Not connectible" network status in µTorrent despite the µTorrent port forward test passing. A better test is BTFAQ's, this will fail if NIS is stealthing your ports. Finally, to avoid nuisance NIS Intrusion Prevention warnings, deselect "Invalid TCP Destination Port", "Invalid TCP Source Port", and "MS Windows H.323 BO (2)" signatures on the Intrusion Prevention Signature Exclusions page of Intrusion Protection Advanced Configuration.

Good luck, Joe

in Nortan Internet Security how do u make sure ur firewall configuration for utorrrent contains those 2 rules

Edit: In newer versions of Comodo (v2.3.6.81), "Source" is now called "Destination" - OAKside

Are you sure it's not "Remote" that's now called "Destination"? 'Cause it seems like "Source" fields still exist, whereas the "Remote" fields are gone.

I'm currently trying Comodo out. I've applied the suggested settings, and they seem to kinda work, but I get alot of ICMP = PORT UNREACHABLE messages in my log, as described here. Plus it seems like uTorrent doesn't maintain as many idle connections anymore in the Peers tab (i.e., almost none at any given moment). Also, today a usually-busy torrent didn't upload as quickly at first when I started seeding it. Anyone know what all this is about?

Oh, also, I keep hearing bad things here about ZoneAlarm interfering with torrent stuff. Does all that apply to ZoneAlarm Free, or just to Pro? 'Cause ZA Free seemed to work okay for me while I was using it...

hello there! my uorent works perfect!!!!....but it seems that its the only program which works perfect,as all the rest is collapsing!I run out of memory as it seems.I read that nvidia firewall causes trouble.Is that true?I have nvidia but can anybody help me how to uninstall my nvidia firewall?Thanks in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

newbie.

hi went to port forward link typed in what it says i have a dlink dsl-502t router and i just connected a wireless router to it also dI-524 do i have to configure both as i am getting slow downloads and red light on.i used to get

green but not now.have been changing numbers for 2 days now still no good.

i need help pleaseeeeeeeeeee. :/

• 4 weeks later...

i'm with kaspersky antivirus v6. is thr anything i can do? does this creates some problems to torrent?. i read in previous page for kasperski personal....didn;t apply to my version. pls help. thatnx and happy new year.

i'm using win xp sp2 with p4 @ 3ghz 512 ram, 1.6 torrent

Traffic is routed through Kaspersky AV 6, even though it is not a firewall. Things were rosy when I was using Norton AV and Sygate Pro firewall. I dumped Norton for Kaspersky AV and Sygate is not very happy when I try to run uTorrent now. When Kaspersky is running, Sygate views my computer as the remote intruder who is scanning ports. Yikes! Sygate did not do this before I installed KAV. I sort of have things working but I'm waiting to hear more from the KAV forum.

Nikos, for now you can add uTorrent.exe to KAV's trusted zone and select "Do not scan network traffic." This should help get things started.

• 2 weeks later...

One would think I would make it at least a little while without fouling up matters, but right off the bat, my torrents will not begin to download when told to start, even though the Peers column shows a nonzero integer. The Logger shows first "Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80040154", and then "Unable to map UPnP Port." Very confused. Ripping hair out. Please, save my hair.

Hi guys,

i have an annoying problem. i cant download like 99% of the torrents. They are all with red arrow down...so i figgured out that no matter what port i choose, it "does not appear to be open". The yellow triangle says "No incoming connections"...

So i need to forward a port?

How can i forward a port? I have no router, and im with windows firewall. I turn it off, same thing. I added uTorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions... (i'm with SP 2) nothing changed.

Turned off DHT, no use. Turned on, same. Changed all kinds of ports, same.

WHAT TO DO? HELP ME!

Archived