Computer freezes randomly & completely only when uTorrent is running?!

DeviousNet

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

joined to give my input.

I'm running:

Windows7 64bit. an ISO. from early 2009. I have not updated it.

Intel Core2 Duo E6850/ 4gb RAM/ GeForce GTX 460

NOD32

Hardwired Comcast (cable).

no spyware programs.

Peerblock. (i tried both an old version and the latest also without it running at all)

I just formated my hard drive yesterday. I was running Vista 32bit. Never had this problem.

But now that I'm running Windows 7 64bit. It (utorrent) freezes my computer every single time I use it. I can leave the comp. running for days...but 2 minutes after I start utorrent, she's frozen.

From the posts.....it seems there's a high correlation with windows7 64bit.

Hopefully someone is looking into this. It was an amazing program until now.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem 4 quite a while now, Have read a mirade of forums, this one included. I found a lot of users are having the same problem, obviously running different Systems, software and scanners etc. I have tried a lot of the advice i recieved which i thought was relevant to the problem i am having with PC lockup etc. and I am still exsperiencing the same prob. Today have upgraded to the new U torrent version 2.2.1 (25110) at the moment although I have not fully put it through its paces seems to be running Ok ? have not experienced freezing issues etc, will see how it goes. I am def not a expert but I feel the issue is with U torrent software and i hope this new build will address the prob?

Hi. I registered just to post this message.

I've been facing this issue for months. I have lost countless hours, reinstalled my system more than a few times, bought new hard drives, CD drives, and finally came to the opinion that my motherboard IDE controller was most likely faulty.

The answer, I have finally figured out, is uTorrent. When uTorrent is running, the system will entirely hang after some random amount of time - no blue screen, just frozen, without even being able to move the mouse. Only a hard reboot solves the problem. It's only since my most recent rebuild when I decided to not even install uTorrent (usually it is one of the first things that I put on a clean system) that I noticed a complete lack of the problem. Now, running uTorrent usually causes the system to hang in 5-10 minutes. Now I see it, it is as clear as day.

As much as I'd like to worry about how to get uTorrent to work and not cause random crashes, I'm ditching it. This problem has cost me days of my life, and a not inconsiderable amount of money. yes, uTorrent is free - but it has turned out to be one of the most expensive pieces of software I owned in my life. Perhaps, after all, there is something to say for actually paying for software, so that the company in question actually has some money to carry out proper testing.

Goodbye, uTorrent. You will get to freeze other perople's computers, no doubt - but I will never get my time back. Those endless hours of frustration are forever lost. Damn you and your jaunty green logo. I could have been outside - I could have been doing cartwheels, I could have been snowboarding, I could have been, well, doing something more fun than rebuilding my fking system.

May you burn in software hell.

/rant.

Anyway, just for information, I'm running W7 64, 8gb Ram, Q6600 with a Asus P5K Mb. Oh, and I also have a macbook pro, and an 27" iMac. Which actually work without ever crashing. Imagine that, windows users!

• 2 months later...

I just registered to tell about this problem as well.

But unlike the others, I updated my hardware two days ago and have had the problem ever since. My computer is 100% stable, I can run prime95 for hours, games do not cause any crashes and so on. But when I start uTorrent, it takes anywhere from 1 minute to a couple of hours for my computer to freeze completely just as described by others.

My specs are:

W7 Professional 64-bit (a legit version)

ASUS P5KC

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3,1 GHz (I tried with factory clocks as well, and it still freezes up)

nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti

8 GB of 1600MHz Kingston HyperX DDR3 running at 1060-1380MHz depending on the overclock.

I used to have 3-4 gigabytes of Kingston HyperX DDR2. My mobo is a "combo" mobo with support for both DDR2 and DDR3. One of my memory modules died a few months ago, so I ran with only 3 gigs of memory for a while.

As I said before, my computer is completely stable after the memory upgrade. Actually it's more stable than with the old DDR2 memory. So please don't blame the hardware upgrade being faulty.

BUT could the problem have something to do with the _amount_ of RAM? Many ppl with the problem and who have told their system specs seem to have a lot of RAM.

Could uTorrent have some sort of a glitch that causes it not to function properly when there is a lot of RAM available? I never had this problem when I had 3-4 gigs of memory. These are just my thoughts, though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I tried reinstalling uTorrent, but it didn't help. Also, I only run Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I've found that using any 3rd party antivir/firewall software only slow my computer down and cause problems without actually providing any more protection. I'm the only user of this computer and I trust in myself not to click on any stupid links containing viruses, like some people tend to do.

Also, I have a laptop with W7 64-bit Home Edition, Core 2 Duo mobile and 4 gigs of ram, and it has never had any problems with uTorrent. I'm testing now if the problem has emerged on my laptop as well (I don't use uTorrent much on my laptop).

EDIT2: The laptop doesn't seem to have the same problem.

I found another forum/topic where people are saying that WebUI is the cause of this issue, but after disabling it, my computer still froze after only a couple of minutes.

I also tried the uTorrent RC3 (3.0) on my desktop, which froze the computer after only a minute or two. So the problem persists. I have no idea what could be causing this and as of now, I'm sadly forced to use another torrent client until this problem is fixed.

EDIT3: Problem solved! It was hardware, afterall, but it was the network controller on my mobo. I've been using a USB WIFI dongle for a day now without any freezes.

Archived