utorrent 1.7.1 is banned at bitmetv

john_sw

For the record, they weren't expecting users to find the bug; they didn't expect the bug at all. They do a fair amount of dogfeeding themselves, so it's not like they just handed out untested stuff. They didn't realize the tracker change would affect torrents over ~4.2GB -- it's pretty far from related (at least in terms of initial expectations, just like you've shown).

So yeah, "that's all it is" :P

And DVD-R's are 4+ GB in size. Like I said, that's a real obvious test case that was missed. It's a bad, non-trivial mistake for a product like this. Test cases, use cases, and boundary conditions -- that's pretty much Software Engineering 101 stuff.

Perhaps - but when you're working on a project which is constantly evolving, it's not always practical - code gets pulled around all over the place and you end up implementing hacks because a full rewrite of code will take longer and may break more things, and besides, writing a full set of unit tests might be good, but it's not always practical for systems which may have a large number of variable factors to deal with.

And as for integer overflows - it's a bit unfair to expect the devs to always be aware of the possibility that it might occur. You're being a bit harsh on them in my opinion... :(

I think there's to much paranoia. And to kill all the rumors will be nice if somebody will spend few minutes to make a tutorial about how to use that Wireshark to generate utorrent logs.

In this way every noob will see if those admins who banned utorrent were right or no.

If there's any tracker doing this, I can try talking to them (if someone gives me the IRC server and channel). It may not always work, but I've at least clarified things for a few of them and gotten them to reverse their decision.

• 4 months later...

Archived