Multiple Networks on Dual Nic Machine

Kaliban

Just wanted to suggest adding the support for mulitple network cards connected on differing networks. ie 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x to get even more bandwidth. I live in an apartment which has internet provided. I also have my own internet connection that I pay for. I just want to take advantage of the extra potential bandwidth and pull from both locations at the same time.

• 8 months later...

This is what I was trying to do.

Used multiple instances of uTorrent with /RECOVER, each under a different user account. Then I bound the two separate instances to my two different NIC cards. It works for a while, then it cuts in and out.

It seemed the problem was related to Windows as opposed to uTorrent because I ran Azureus and uTorrent, had the same problem with internet cutting out on one of the two interfaces.

It would be great if uTorrent could have a work around for this?

DreadWingKnight,

Windows is far from a perfect operating system and has many weaknesses. In the beta uTorrent 1.8, it gives an option to bypass the Windows Vista cache which was not playing nice with uTorrent 1.7.7, at least on my system. I think that was a great workaround and enhanced uTorrent's performance significantly on my Vista box.

Perhaps this multiple NIC issue is too deep in Windows XP for uTorrent to build a workaround. If there was anyway possible, I would love it!

Sorry I'm not smarter to provide any insight, but I am willing to help test and post reports/stats!

joeykrim

I get internet through wireless lan.. we have an http authentication. I own 2 wireless card, it would be very handy to have extra bandwidth ..but seems quite difficult to get the bandwidth combined. (at least seperate upload bandwidth will help me with my ratio on some private trackers I'm on)

P.S. The download rate is great.. more than 300-400kb/s which is 0.3mb/s which is fine for me but the upload is killing me with less than 26 kb/s it's pain in the a**

If its a hardware issue, you might purchase better network cards (e.g. Intel). Some models have multiple RJ45 jacks in one card. These cards are designed to bind to different IPs, so any hardware issues would be minimized. You could also be over stretching your max connections or upload bandwidth which causing your internet to cut out.

• 2 weeks later...

hermanm,

i'm not over stretching the connections or bandwidth, ive troubleshot that option already.

i didn't even know multiple RJ45 jack NICs existed! I found a few intel models. Intel PWLA8492MT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO 2 x RJ45 is around $161. Costs a lot more than two cheap NIC cards but it looks interesting enough to check out. Thx!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also run Virtual PC with MicroXP inside. Load a µTorrent inside there. Virtual PC would bind to whatever network card you specify. You would have two torrents running taking up twice as much disk space, but the Local Peer Discovery should transfer pieces back and forth. I'm going to try this with my Comcast Cable & DSL lines.

Archived