Encrypted headers (feature found in BitComet)

gegtik

I am requesting the option to encrypt headers like bitcomet does. My ISP is packet-shaping torrent data and so utorrent is completely useless to me right now. If it were possible to encrypt torrent headers, I could bypass this problem.

( http://www.google.ca/search?q=bitcomet+%22protocol+header+encrypt%22 )

Please add this so I can use utorrent once again!

this has been requested several times before. ludde will implement this once he finds out how to do it,

because bitcomet is a closed source and there is no documentation on enrypted BT headers.

I wonder how it works -- can only bitcomet clients respond to encrypted headers, or does it somehow work for everyone? I haven't used it yet but I plan to when i get home :P

If it was documented, it would be useless. ISP's would decrypt the packets too and see that is BT-traffic.

In fact, if ISP's had more powerfull hardware, they could circumvent the entire encryption packets. BitComet also connect to clients that do not use encryption. They could use those packets to log/figure out on what port you are running BitComet on, and traffic shape all network traffic to/from that specific port. Using a different random port each time would help somewhat, but it wouldn't take long to figure it out.

In the end, the only way to bypass traffic-shaping is using some sort of VPN/SSL-tunnel to a location outside of your ISP's network.

It doesn't matter if it would have been documentated if it was implemented in the correct way. Since the data is encrypted using an unique key for each session (ex the torrents hash), there's no way for the ISP to detect the BT traffic even if the encryption method would have been documentated.

There's no excuse at all for not making the protocol official. I guess BitComet keeps it for themself just because they want users to be dependent to use BitComet if thier ISP shape BT traffic.

But if µTorrent would like to implement something similiar, they would need to get some support from other BitTorrent-devellopers (having two non-standard encryption methods is not any better, even if one of them is documented). That would take (a lot of) effort and time.

But, I remember reading that several people were already trying to dismantle BitComet's encryption. How far are they?

I don't think you want that either. There are already two DHT's in use, why also add multiple encryption ways?

if ludde develops and shares an open encryption scheme, there's no reason to think it couldn't be adopted quite easily by other devs, leaving bitcomet to either adopt it or be the odd man out. Again the key here is to openly share it with other torrent app devs.

If it was documented, it would be useless. ISP's would decrypt the packets too and see that is BT-traffic.

Some of the best and most trusted ciphers have their specifications completely open. They don't rely on obscurity of the protocol to provide any security. No system should.

Archived