Transfer complete, but not really

cruo

I did a search, but could not find any info, so forgive me if this has already been covered. I am not sure if this is a bug but the problem I had was when a 2.65gb game completed downloading, or so I thought it did. I turned off µtorrent and other progs so I could test the game. It worked fine, so I burned it to a DVD disc. Well, the next time I started µtorrent, it showed the same file as not complete and said to recheck it. I forced re-check and it showed that I was missing some files which I was quickly able to download. I am not sure if that small amout of data that was missed and therefore not burned with the DVD matters since it played well without it, but it is frustrating to think I may have just wasted a DVD disc. This actually happened twice, with another 2+gb file, but luckily it was not burned to disc.

I actually had a similar problem previously. I would dl avis, and, at that time I was using ABC, and it would report it as finished. When I played the file, I would get blocking as if the file were incomplete. A CRC check did show that the file was messed up. Happened to multpile files for almost a month. In the end, I found a note on Bittorando's site that said bad RAM can cause corrupted downloads. I swaped out my RAM and have not had the problem since. So far, every uT dl has been ok. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys for the replies. This is my first computer that I built with new components about 3 months ago. The RAM I bought is OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 which I was told is pretty good. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb. I haven't had any problems with either. Maybe it is the IDE cable or controller as Firon stated. I don't think I will mess with them since this bug is not that bad. I will just double/triple check the files before I burn them. As for overclocking, not at the moment, but plan on it when the time comes. Thanks again guys!

tumu's right!!! Wait on overclock until you stablize everything else...and also burn in of HD...dble chk with manu of MB and see if ram is cert for that board. Dble chk drivers, cables and monitor cpu temp and core voltage. A weak or faulty PS can also give you similiar symptoms. Debugging hw is never fun! And vendors tend to blame other vendors hw! :rolleyes: GL.

hth

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have another question. µtorrent shows I have completed downloads at 100% and that I am seeding. Sometimes I notice in the download column that it shows small bits of download activity like 0.1kB/s to 0.5kB/s. Once I saw it get up to 2.4kB/s. This doesn't happen all the time, just off and on. Am I still downloading info even if the download has been complete for weeks?

utorrenpic1.jpg

I've got the same problem. I've memtested all the sticks of ram together and individually and they've all passed. It only happens on one drive, so I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive. For now, I've been downloading to another hard drive.

I'm wondering, is there a test for the hard drive like memtest that I can use to make sure it is my hard drive?

And if it turns out to be the hard drive has a problem, what should I say when I RMA the drive?

SpinRite is the ultimate tester. (it's also a recovery tool!) There's various modes of operation, I think level 6 is the strongest (and slowest one) to verify anything.

Uh, I guess you could say the drive has bad sectors and is giving you problems. It's also corrupting your data? Something like that...

Archived