Impossible to surf the Web

XtoZee

I saw discussions about it before, but haven't noticed any answers how to solve this problem. May be this is because nobody really understands it right.

The problem is:

When uTorrent is on and especcially when it worked for some time IE (and FireFox too) drops an error like "The page cannot be displayed". And IE just doesn't even tries to download a page. F5 has to be pressed 8-10 times before the page is displayed. NO, this is not because my bandwidth is filled with uTorrent. It happens even when d/l is limited to 1 kb/s and traffic graph shows almost no activity. Same with POP3. Mail client can't connect to mail server and drops error in less than quarter of a second. (May be too much open connections or something)

And another additional problem:

When shutting down uTorrent sometimes occures an error. Blue screen of death telling me about an error in driver vxd blah-blah-blah (can't remember numbers) the work can be continued BUT... modem stops tranferring any data. Restart needed to solve this problem....

My configuration:

Win98SE

P450Celeron

192Mb RAM

dialup 56kbps connection

modem USRobotics Courier V.Everything EXT

Windows Standart Modem Drivers

---------------

English is NOT my native language... don't blame me much

The Windows 9x series is known to have some pretty major problems. :( Next time the BSOD happens, make sure to note the precise VXD error so it can be resolved (if possible). Unfortunately I know nothing that can help you with the other problem ("The Page cannot be displayed")...the only thing I can think of is too many connections for your PC (which is rather old - maybe it cannot handle so many connections).

No sense to have many connections in a dialup. Windows 98 defaults to 100 TCP connections max. Set your max # of connections in uT to less then 70.

When you'll move to ADSL or cable connection - you can change these settings - to 500 in Win 98 and 350-400 in uT.

So here's my BSOD (happens when closing uTorrent !OR! today it happened when my ISP cut connection):

Error OE address 0028:C155202A in driver VxD AFVXD (01)+0000164A. Call (address 0028:C1839464) was from driver PPPMAC(04)+00007B14.

Work can be continued. press any key.

May be wrong in words as I have to translate it from Russian but numbers are really well written down=)

So what can it be?

Perhaps upgrading to Win2000 might solve problem, your hardware is good enough for it. After using NT core for some years, I know why MS don't continue with the Win9x product line.

I have only one reason why i still don't use WinXP.... it's 4Gb HDD.... SE is the most tiny Win i have ever seen....

Perhaps upgrading to Win2000 might solve problem' date=' your hardware is good enough for it. After using NT core for some years, I know why MS don't continue with the Win9x product line.[/quote']

I have only one reason why i still don't use WinXP.... it's 4Gb HDD.... SE is the most tiny Win i have ever seen....

No, WinXP is hardware resource hungry, you should try lighter W2000 with your hardware. It should be much better than 98SE, W2000 standard install is below 1G, you may also buy a 2nd hand 10-20GB HD for very low price now as new ones grows to 200-500GB. Believe me, NT is much stable than 98SE. (but not recommend for P200 below systems with 64M)

try to read my first post once more... i said it's not a timeout.... upload [edit](and download)[/edit] cap was at 1kb/s.... where to go lower?

Since english is not your native language perhaps YOU should reread your own post. Timeout and upload are words nowhere to be found so you didn't mention it, no.

For your own benefit I hope you were not being sarcastic :/ It won't get you far and certainly not with me.

So here's my BSOD (happens when closing uTorrent !OR! today it happened when my ISP cut connection):

Error OE address 0028:C155202A in driver VxD AFVXD (01)+0000164A. Call (address 0028:C1839464) was from driver PPPMAC(04)+00007B14.

Work can be continued. press any key.

May be wrong in words as I have to translate it from Russian but numbers are really well written down=)

So what can it be?

It seems either your PPPOE driver or LAN card driver have problem, try to find if there's new version of driver for them. Or try other versions of utorrent.

• 3 months later...

Everybody seems to be knocking this poor fellow XtoZee for his less-than-desirable hardware profile, but I seem to be having a similar problem (Except no BSOD) and I have a pretty current machine.

I am running an AMD XP2400 (2.0 Ghz) with 768MB ram and Win XP Pro. The problem I am having is that when I have uTorrent running (regardless of how much bandwidth it reports to be using on the bottom right status bar) my ability to surf goes straight to hell. Not only that but nobody else on my router (Linksys WRT54G) can surf either (and we have 8 terminals at my house, so when this happens there are as many as 7 people giving me a hard time).

Perhaps somebody feels our pain and has been through this and knows what the problem is and how to fix it.

Neely Johns

Archived