faq out of date

jibba

Does µTorrent support UNC-style paths (e.g. //192.168.1.2/C$/ ) / network drives?

It doesn't support UNC-style paths yet, but you can still save files to a network drive with this workaround. Simply map the remote path to a drive letter and it will work. In Explorer\My Computer, go to Tools -> Map Network Drive to do this.

uncnames.jpg

under General

Save As: \\thor\h$\test\MadlaxPromo.avi

The torrent was started in an empty directory on the networked pc.

I have administrator rights on both pc's and username and password are synchonized.

Folder Options,

Put new downloads in:

\\thor\h$\test

Did I miss a changelog item?

Also, the faq says //server/share/folder

it should say \\server\share\folder

I just found out it does work on multi torrents but only if the target folder allready exists.

So if you create a direcory with the name of the torrent on the network pc (like utorrent should do automagically) it works.

In the program code it sould first check if the folder allready exists, and if not create the folder, before trying to write files to it.

I think UT just tries writing to the filepath (e.g c:/folder/folder2/file.ext). if folder2 doesn't exist, then it gets created (by windows?). But with netowkr paths, the folder doesn't get created?

So, ludde should just add a couple of extra lines of code, maybe check if it is a network path, and then check for the folders if it is > otherwise use the old method above.

This is my theory anyways.

So if you create a direcory with the name of the torrent on the network pc (like utorrent should do automagically) it works.

So µT should just automagically bypass all security measures :)

I see what you're saying, but there's still a substantial amount of 'unlocking' that needs to be done by the user to make this possible..

What I am trying to say is:

uTorrent should allways create an emty folder for multi file torrents, before any file (piece/chunk/whatever) even gets attempted to be written to disk.

If uTorrent fails to create a new folder it should display a message in the line of "No permission to write to disk".

This is the same for local and/or mapped drives as it is for UNC names as there is a posibility that you can't write to your hard drive too (company pc).

It will probably require 1 line of code and might throw 2 exeptions ( "allready exists" and "permission denied" )

no security being bypassed :) ( NTFS ACLs rule!)

And yes, the user needs to make sure that he has permission ('unlocking') but that's the same on the mapped drive and on the local dives.

Mapping drives is not a nice solution on a laptop that connects to lots of different network environnements

• 5 weeks later...

Another Network Workaround (this method does Not require Mapping of drive letters to network shares)

When I first encountered the 'File / Folder Creation Across Network Drives' issue, I had recently switched to using uTorrent (1.3 stable) from BitLord, because a private tracker was soon to ban that and related BT clients.

I had ONLY used BitLord up to that point, and it had shown me no problems at all in creating a network save path for itself, so for a short while, I tried using it to create the necessary file & directory structure (BitLord will make zero-sized properly named files and all necessary folders, without need to download, as soon as it is recognised by the tracker), then stop the torrents & pick them up in uT.

Once that was created, uT could carry on from there without the error message, etc., which was fine for a few days, but as soon as the ban on BitComet/BitLord was in effect, the tracker would refuse to recognise.

I looked and tried some other (acceptable to that tracker) clients for that purpose, but later, it occurred to me (this is, in hindsight, just too obvious), that I could install and use uTorrent locally on the remote PC, in order to create the necessary file & directory structure there (same result as above with BL), then Stop the new torrent after the structure was confirmed, and restart it with uT from the original PC at which I wished to control things.

Just One More Thing, though (Columbo Humour) :

When doing it that most recent way, uT does not (as usual, I believe) seem to be able to create zero-sized files the way BL did, so I had to set it to 'Pre-Allocate' (ALL) files, and it then of course grabbed the full space required for all of the related files, as soon as any download actually began. - Then I stopped the new torrent at the remote PC, etc...

Cheers !

:)

So µT should just automagically bypass all security measures :)

I see what you're saying' date=' but there's still a substantial amount of 'unlocking' that needs to be done by the user to make this possible..[/quote']

:rolleyes: nothing about security is broken if the user already has the rights. thats basic network management. the unlocking part is done outside of µt anyway on the server.

Archived