Uploading into nothingness?

Landru

Just something strange that attracted my attention. I've been seeding a small file (35MB) for the last 2 months, and noticed that on several occasions it has appeared to be uploaded several times over (at least 100-200 MB) by the one peer, whose own percentage barely changes - it may take them up to 2 weeks to get the whole file... My own upload speed shows at 5-10 kBps, I'm not downloading at the same time, and everything looks as if it's working just fine. Where are all my MBs going, and is there anything I can do to speed up the process for the peer?

It could be a seed... or a hostile peer meant to use up connection slots in your client or to keep your IP address to send C&D orders to your ISP... If you think your file could have become corrupted, stop the torrent and recheck (or use another torrent checker if you don't want to lose session stats)... but I'd double check the IP on the peer, whois them, and if they're bad, add em to the ipfilter.dat and be done with them.

Thanks Jewelisheaven! (Apologies for delayed reply, Xmas break etc...) As a result I'm investigating Bluetack's Blocklist Manager and SmartWhois. I'm new at all this, and I guess it's time I wise up to possibly hostile going ons! Thanks again and happy new year to you!

Don't bother with bluetack blocklists.

http://neuron2neuron.blogspot.com/2006/05/blocklist-balderdash.html

http://www.slyck.com/story1593_MediaDefender_Leak_Offers_BlueTack_Users_a_Reality_Check

Dlink DMZ Download Destroyer could also be the cause (and if they're good:bad based banning you may have earned enough credit for a LOT of hashfails)

Thanks! OK, just read those 2 links, I get the idea! No need wasting my time. Next, is SmartWhois any use or should I aim for some other way to whois the IP before I get tempted to add it to ipfilter.dat? and I'll have to look into your other suggestion. There's no end to learning!

I use whois.ws for my searches but anything which uses an ARIN based mechanism to track registrars would work... Granted I used it more before... I only recently had to add a new range one of the companies bought in June... but it's always there if need-be, like if I see peers which consistently don't resolve to DNS... those are interesting to me, wouldn't they be interesting to you? :D

Heh, nice slyck link DWKnight I must have missed it the first time around.

I'm sure they should be of interest to me... if only I understood the implications! Do these guys show up as keeping trying to plug into the torrent, but without much success? And did I read something about poisoned cache somewhere? is there a link? Forgive me for a baffling lack of knowledge so far, I'm doing my best to improve this... Spent the afternoon scurrying the net but with little success. Any links you'd recommend on this one? Thanks! :/

Archived