another upload speed problem

bobbintb

i know similar issues like this have been discussed and mine is quite similar to this one:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=33534

but the reverse. when i go into the options and cap my upload (at work i can only upload a certain amount per day) the download starts decreasing. only when i limit each individual torrent upload speed does it work properly. but not the universal limit.

What do you cap it to? If it's above 5KiB/s, well, it might be due to a similar explanation I gave in that thread as well: when you cap your upload rate, it the other peer might cap their upload to you as well just because BitTorrent is all about reciprocation and loosely based around tit-for-tat behavior.

The mechanics are foreign to me, but when you set your cap or change it there is a difference / interruption of peer transfer traffic. My guess is that uT is setting up for a certain rate limit of ACK or other metric for enforcing the traffic speed you set. 1 KiBps isn't fair and you know it. The intention limiting is meant to allow users who legitimately have such low bandwidth ability to function while discouraging users who abuse it by giving them less than optimal speeds.

or users you have a certain upload limit (like me). i know what its for and the only reason i cap it is because if i dont then my ip will get banned after a certain upload limit (20+ torrents at 1kb is around 20kb). so i think that sounds fair. maybe that it what its doing but i doubt it because i let it sit a while to see if the speed would readjust to the change but it didnt. just stayed really slow.

Well, the thing is uT does pretty well at auto-allocating bandwidth based upon the receiver. I only SPARINGLY set the upload of a torrent to specifics if I need to, otherwise I set my global limit according to my connection speed AND what my ISP lets me use of that speed, and uT does the rest... switching between high uploads on one torrent after the other depending on the download rate of the currently-unchoked peer.

If you only have 20 KiloBYTES/sec usable upload speed, then you're probably better off getting no more than 3 torrents at a time...and even that's kinda pushing it because you can't have a lot of upload slots per torrent at that low speed.

I barely have double that at 42 KiloBYTES/sec and have a tough time getting download speeds much higher than my upload if I try to run more than 5 torrents at once. But then again, many of the torrents I chase after have more peers than seeds...and those become who can upload the fastest gets the largest download speed by far.

Archived