At Startup, utorrent says it appears to be already running.

anakin66

I'm using utorrent 1.7.5 on Windows XP SP2 on an intel Core 2 duo processor, and an MSI mainboard. For some reason, when I sometimes startup my system, utorrent will start, but it will also provide an error message on screen saying that "it appears to already be running." My startup folder is empty, and I have looked under the program section, and there is nothing in the utorrent file but a single file, amazingly enough called utorrent.exe.

The program is obviously trying to start a second time. Has anyone ever had this problem before, and do you know how to remedy it? I could try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I worry that I have active torrents running, both seeding and partially downloaded, and I'm afraid to lose them because they are all large files. I could try to simply install the program again as I don't think that affects the running files other than temporarily shutting them down during installation, but I don't want yet another attempt at startup to open utorrent a third time. Once would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Firon, you were correct. Using msconfig, I noticed that there were somehow two instances of utorrent.exe set to run, and then used the location listed to delete the duplicate key in the rather cryptic registry. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

I did use the search function to try to find an instance of someone else with the problem, if that is the rule I broke, but nothing obviously the same popped up out of the 13 pages of results. Sorry if that was the problem.

Again, thanks.

Firo: "The rule thing is my signature."

Anakin66, extremely embarrassed: "ooops... didn't see that one coming :(... "

Regardless, your information seems to have worked, in fact better than I had imagined, although it is still too early to tell. If I can get through a week without problems, I'll know with relative certainty that that was what was wrong all along.

My system started up fine, both last night after rebooting, and this morning at scheduled startup. Not only that, but in earlier versions of utorrent, the application opened up minimized, with only the system tray icon appearing. After one of the utorrent upgrades, my system started opening utorrent in a full window. It did not matter if I minimized it before shutting down, it still opened in a regular window whenever my system started. I was told this was normal when I asked for help on the forum previously, even though I knew it had not been the case before.

Now that I have removed the duplicate entry from the registry's "run" menu, the program has been opening up minimized as an icon in the system tray again. In other words, no big window to needlessly be minimized. Horray! Yeah, I know, that's a small thing, but it did always bug me that it never happened in earlier versions, but it was a constant problem in the newer versions. That's just me. I like my background applications to run in the background.

And I get the feeling from the "at least once a month" post with a smiling face after it that I'm not the first to make the mistake about the "rule" thing. Oh well. Good advice is worth a little embarrassment :).

Again, thanks.

Well, I was of the opinion that the smilies mitigated the severity of a comment somewhat, and anyway it was all in jest so no need for anyone to get riled up, is there? :|

In any case, I believe that on the net, it's best not to get too emotional and over-react unless an uncalled-for, ad hominem, personal attack is made against me specifically. Ignore and live & let live, I always say. Keeps me stress-free for sure! :)

Archived