uTorrent Crash

aj8973

Hi all.

I'm running uTorrent 1.7.6 on Windows Vista Build 6000. It runs fine but whenever I exit the program (or try to) it crashes and stays in memory. In task manager I can't force close the program and threads and it just stays there until I reboot. The icon also stays planted in the taskbar. If the program window is maximized and I close the program the screen, it also freezes and I can't remove it.

I changed bt.graceful.shutdown to true, however, this makes no difference.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

If you could try a process similar to what Drew42 tried it may help expose the problem location in ZA. I won't tell you to uninstall because hey, it's your system. And since it can work without conflict as-is for 1.7.6 it may be a version specific problem. Could you also post your ZA version and any settings you modified for uT to function?

Zone Alarm is a really, really bad firewall, unfortunately. You have to uninstall ZA (it has problems with -everything). But before you do so... close it to so it hangs.

Then do this to crash it and send the dump to greg@bittorrent.com

ntsd.exe -p 4100 -e 4100 -c ".dump /mf c:\jit.dmp;q"

where 4100 is the PID, and c:\jit.dmp is the resulting dump

ok, problem here ...

I was running μtorrent 1.7.5 for weeks without a single crash. With version 1.7.6. problems started. Nothing changed in my PC (same XP, no new programs, no firewall) but the version kept crashing at least once per day. Message was: μtorrent not responding, restart application or dump info or restart and dump or s/thing else I don't remember. Anyway, the moment I saw the 1.7.7. release I thought that s/body noticed the problem and fixed it. Nope. Same problem with 1.7.7., at least for me.

I unistalled the program, I made a clean new install. It crashed again. Finally, since nothing exept μtorrent version has changed (again) in my PC, I checked my router. Everything fine there.

The only idea I can come up with, since I was not watching my screen the exact time the crashes occured, is that they happen the moment my ISP changes my IP. Sometimes they do it once per day, some other times twice. But still ... this is a very wild guess and nothing else.

Bottom line: Is this a problem from my side or from μtorrent side?

Any ideas?

every time i open utorrent my graphics drop down to 8bit low resolution my screen goes blank for a couple of seconds then reappears and ocationaly the whole screen is blanked out not letting me do anything and i have to do a reset on my tower i am running xp profesional tried the new update 1.7 this still doing the same any ideas

Similarly I have been experiencing regular crashes with the two latest upgrades under XP pro.

Prior to this uTorrent ran sweet as a nut for the last two years without ever crashing.

I have a collection of dump files relating to the problem. Where do you want me to send them?

Ahh, understood and quite polite.:D I'm sorry if I seem not-so- :S. However given it was Firon who posted it (admin@utorrent) and the email is also to the utorrent domain (a developer in this case), it can be understood that the purpose TO give out such information is to receive all available crash dumps users can create and send in, if for whatever reason the automated sender doesn't work or is ill-advised.

In my case I've submitted several quite large dumps manually... ones which would have inevitably tied up my internet line for over an hour. So to avoid that, and to include more relevant information, I uploaded it in the background to zshare.net or mediafire.com and made a forum post about it ;) (/BIDGUMP when asked for really does make a bigdump!!)

Here I am again and no more crashes with the μtorrent 1.7.7. The dahm thing, after crashing amost every other day, well ... it stopped. Just like that. After all the trouble it got me rebooting my PC (again and again), re-checking (forcefully) my active downloads, screaming to it, begging it ... sudenly everything is smooth and fine with no explanation at all. I almost feel cheated.

Anyway (and getting serious), I sent the most recent .dump files I had to the e-mail written above, hoping the problem was from my side of the XP fence.

Here I am again and no more crashes with the μtorrent 1.7.7. The dahm thing, after crashing amost every other day, well ... it stopped. Just like that. After all the trouble it got me rebooting my PC (again and again), re-checking (forcefully) my active downloads, screaming to it, begging it ... sudenly everything is smooth and fine with no explanation at all. I almost feel cheated.

Anyway (and getting serious), I sent the most recent .dump files I had to the e-mail written above, hoping the problem was from my side of the XP fence.

The dumps appear to be rare, but some of the most common bugs with the 1.7 line. No idea what causes them, but that section of code has been improved in 1.8. You might want to give the alpha a spin if it ever occurs again.

alus, thanks a whole lot for your time and your reply. I never forget that μtorrent is a free program, so I really appreciate the effort. I'll use the 1.8 version the minute I have another problem with the 1.7.7.

By the way, I think I saw 1.8 banned from a torrent site somewhere (I'll try to find it again, for the moment I can't remember which one). I guess it's because it's not an official release yet. Thought to mention it.

1.8 is blanket banned on most "private" sites due to it passing the "B" beta tag in the clientid. Additionally, it's not stable (yet) so they have good reason to enforce it. If however you would like to test it out with their site scripts, it's possible if you ask politely to "evaluate" it for them. If they refuse, that's alright, but it'd be good to know no changes negatively affect their site. Also it'd be good to investigate the changes to the announce prior to an RC or beta release ;)

You can find the 1.8 in the Announcements forum, and to keep it from mucking with your 1.7 you can run it self-encapsulated.

I made some "looking around" and yes, "private" sites ban the 1.8 but not all builds. Usually they support the latest (build), probably cause they want to check it out themselves (how it affects their tracker, etc.). Anyway, being a firm believer of the "it works, don't fuck with it" motto, I'll keep running 1.7.7. till, programmers forbid, it crashes again. After that ... 1.8 here I come (self-encapsulated or not).

I'm fortunate to have beign a member in a "private" site that doesn't give a dahm about ratio (I seed but for them 0.002 or 3.567 is the same) and accepts most of the torrent programs. So, I could use the 1.8 there with no problem at all. We'll see ...

Archived