about net.half_open...

rockatansky

On previous version, i had never problem with red torrent issue. when i setup 1.7.6, red torrent issue occured. So, i read solution. But, is there any chance to solve the problem without patching tcpip.sys.? if we change net half open from 8 to 4. Can we solve red torrent issue? i just wonder. And changing from 8 to 4 brings any security problem or something like that?

It depends what reason the icon turns red. If it's "offline (timeout)" that's usually due to bottlenecked connection. This usually happens when patch tuesday comes around from microsoft because it resets the tcpip.sys to the default (post XP SP2) of 10 halfopen connections. If programs try to go past that they will time out because there is no opening to connect to the server with. Reducing the half-open limits further mean that less of the total (default) connections will be used by uT. The half-open setting has no bearing on security.

If on the other hand you get the offline timeout with standard settings (Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> NO * is present) it is likely the upload limit is too high. This can be due to incorrect setting after running a speedtest under Ctrl-G, or manually overloading the connection. It's usually feasible to upload ~ 80-90% of maximum theoretical speed while download, and up to 95% while only uploading.

Yes, offline(timeout). i have already optimized my utorrent bittorrent settings to my connection. (limit to upload 15/27Kb/s and download 100/107 kb/s) But, sometimes red torrent(timeout) occurs in few mins. after that all torrents return to green in a few mins. Sometimes everything is well and no problem with tracker updates. if i change net.half_open from 8 to 4, can i solve this irreguler problem with red-green torrent issue?

It has nothing to do with your computer it has everything to do with them changing things with in the program not being stable! I had the same problem last night lost all my uploads turned red with error where it said unable to local file. error on all my uploads going on. what they need to do it test before release with differnt users. before release.

Archived