uTorrent looks as if it is locking up, but it isn't... WTF!?

Sloshua

I can start my downloads/seeding and everything is working fine. If I minimize it and then bring it back up it freezes. Nothing moves at all. My download/upload speeds, amount downloaded/uploaded, the speed graph on the bottom, ETA, etc. EVERYTHING is frozen. If I stop all the torrents, everything immediately updates like it was still working, but the GUI was frozen. When I restart my torrents, everything goes to Queued/Queued Seed and never changes. But if I mouseover the icon in the system tray it shows up correctly... WTF!?

I have been using uTorrent for over 2 months, and nothing like this has ever happened until I downloaded the newest update (1.3.364) this morning. I tried downgrading back to 1.2.2 and it is now doing it as well. Also, the # column is screwed up as well. I will post a screenshot of that.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? If you need my settings/configuration let me know. Also, I have not changed anything on my PC at all.

utorrent9gs.gif

I am having a similar problem. After utorrent has been running for a few hours, it freezes. NO updating, downloading, or anything of that nature. If it is minimized, it won't maximize. If it is maximized, the GUI is frozen. Like Sloshua, this started once I upgraded to 1.3 build 364. I was on 1.2 before that. The only updates I have made after the update was deselecting DHT.

I am having to use Task Manager to kill utorrent and restart it in order to continue downloading. The interesting thing is that it is using about 2% of my system resources when this happens, so nothing else is being affected by this.

Nothing in the FAQ applies to me, so that doesn't help.

I'm using a Westell modem with Bellsouth DSL on Windows XP. If I have a firewall, I'm not aware of it. Currently I have the firewall in XP turned off.

BTW, there have been no changes to my computer before or after 1.3 was installed. The download I am working on should have taken me at least two days. When I added my complaint, I was at 20% on the download. It has been 5 days, and I am only at 84% because of the program freezing.

Merged Post(s):

Oh, and I have been using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition, which I have been using for a while now.

EDIT by silverfire: The 'Edit' link exists for a reason.

I've seen something similar to this in that sometimes when I minimize it to the system tray, I would later return to the computer, to then see that the torrent client is resting within the taskbar. Bringing it up from the taskbar, and not from the system tray, would then show only information within the GUI from when I previously minimized it. Minimizing it again, making sure that it went to the system tray this time, then to bring it back up from the system tray, would show the GUI with working updated information,.. like as if there was no problem at all, that the client was still working under the GUI. This however was only seen on my Celeron 2.2GHz system, running WinXP HE SP2.

I think I see what's happening... If left long enough, I'm getting a Windows Out of Memory message, stating that it could not allocate 338,740 bytes, that I need to close some programs before continuing. Plus, it has the uTorrent name as the title of error window. But, there is no other program running. I have to reboot the computer in order for everything to run fine.

This has happened three times since my last post, and with different torrents. I've made a point of not running any other programs, and disabling any background programs...

gg,

Huh, I'm running a Celeron processor as well... Coincidence?

'EDIT by silverfire: The 'Edit' link exists for a reason.'

--By the way, I didn't notice the 'Edit' link. This is the first forum I've added comments to, and I'd like to find out what the problem is before deciding to switch clients. What started as a good thing has become a bad thing (utorrent) since the update to 1.3. You could've have worded the above better instead of making sound like 'Hey, dummy, do this...' (Like, 'You can use the 'Edit' link to add to a previous post') I am a application support person myself, and know to watch how statements are typed/said without offending. You want people to know you're there to help, not to dog them...

Archived