firewall message 'uTorrent wants to communicate with Firefox'

vanDivX

hi there, I suppose now everybody thinks this is just another privacy freak complaining about utorrent doing something underhanded...

my problem is not this kind of thing at all, my problem with this communication is that my ZA firewall asks if I want to allow that request for communication with Firefox and untill I click 'ok' allowing (or forbiding as it may be) the utorrent is frozen and is not downloading or uploading not a single byte

now I found this message this morning and utorrent was out of action likely whole night and again that is not the real problem, problem is this year I went abroad for whole two months for christmas and utorrent got blocked over this message soon after I left

now it is not just that I couldn't upload whole two months, I don't give a damn really about that, more serious thing is that I remotelly access my pcs (via remotelyanywhere program) and when utorrent pops up this F%^&* message I can't get to that machine remotelly because it can't respond on account of the bloody window that firewall popped up because utorrent asked to communicate with browser..., so basically it f^&*s up access to my pc 100% untill I come to the machine physically and click the mouse...

now being wizer I am going to add utorrent to firewall exceptions in expert firewall rules but I still want to know what the hell is that supposed to mean this browser accessing when new peers come online

this morning I found that when I clicked on 'allow this action' button, the download which was untill then going in at just a mere trickle started coming in all of a sudden like a flood meaning that some new peers came online and that triggered the utorrent action -> asking for communication with my browser for reasons unknown, at least unknown to me because when I allowed that access to firefox no browser window was opened or anything noticable happened...

what gives?

I should mention I am still using utorrent 1.5 if that is relevant info

vanDivX

uT 1.5 (B. 436 -> 466) is from March - June of '06 >< Why are you still running old uT? Asking uT forum help for configuring ZoneAlarm firewall -- you see an idiosyncracy there? The only way I can think uT could trigger talking to Firefox would be RSS or auto-loading URLs. However I scanned through changelog and RSS was only just added. Given the fixes the developers have made to ONLY 1.8 code in the time it's been around I can only imagine what limits have been patched in 1.6 and then 1.7 behind-the-scenes.

k, thanks for reply anyway, not really asking for support, that's why I posted in general discussion section and not in help section because I felt I can't ask for help with that old version

yeah I know ZA sucks, I use it mainly to keep programs tucked in (I am behind hardware firewall otherwise) and it does fairly good job of that except for this one occurence in many years of good service, I think I'd rather leave leeches high and dry whenever I go on holidays than get rid of ZA (however I am gonna add uT to ZA exceptions and that should cure the problem)

false alarm or not, utorrent somehow did something to trigger the firewall response and I was really just curious what was the reason that left me high and dry for those couple months, when other programs triggered such response in past it never stopped remote access to the pc but it does that when uT does that, go figure

as I said the torrent was idling last night for like 4 hours or more after I started downloading it because there was just one seed for whole evening and that one had only some 30%... meaning that the uT request that ZA blocked came about because of more seeders coming online at some point after I went to bed and that effectively stopped uT untill I removed that popup by clicking No in the morning, then it came pouring in and was finished in an hour or so

as to upgrading, somehow 1.6 and later versions didn't grow on me, I did install as trial some irregular win systems that had those new vers of uT preinstalled on them and so I have seen them and tried them a bit and still like to stick with good old 1.5 version (I didn't like the changes to how the graphical display 'speed' of uploads/downloads is handled plus some other changes like that which perhaps are not weighty issues but 1.5 does the job fine for what I want it to do, still I may finally upgrade one of these days anyway, likely when I reinstall this main system that I run torrents from

reason why 1.5 is simple, that was when I first started with uT and with torrenting at all for that matter, I am conservative user :D

not really asking for support in some offical way, just if there is any other user of uT (perhaps older version like I run) that already has figured this behaviour up, also this anomalous behaviour might be perenial to new versions for all I know

but that's as it may be

/Edit: ok, in ZA it says uT was today trying to send email three times (all attempts blocked as I said No when allerted first time) to IP 79.164.149.120:25 host-79-164-149-120.qwerty.ru which is russia, looks like I may have some worm on my machine trying to use uTorrent program or posing as uT perhaps to get out...

I think it wouldn't be advisable to give uT firewall exception after all in light of this, rather I should reinstall windows as I was planning to anyway and at the same time give the newest uT another chance :)

vanDivX

Archived