Ip as dot?

Grin

Lately i've seen some of the peers in peer list as dot, instead of a standart ip. If I "press copy selected hosts", it copies as .:port . They are downloading and uploading as normal, and they are not in my lan (so it's not like a netbios name).

Can anyone tell me how do they do it?

Hmm... That is a very good way of masking your IP! However, it WILL be no doubt down to the program rather than something you can do as a person. When a client requests the IP of a computer ect... The BT client they are using is obviously refusing the attempt. Very sneaky, and very good... Similar to PG2 but in a more direct connective way!

I like it :D

OR, it will be a powerful firewall blocking ping, IP, WHOIS requests ect...

Copy Selected Hosts doesn't care if it's resolved or not. It's a mini Ctrl-C on only the IP and PORT columns in the Peers tab. When you highlight the peers, you can use Ctrl-C to copy the whole line of information or use the context menu to only get the first two columns relevant for adding to ipfilter.dat.

It is possible this behaviour is a change from previous, however I haven't used 1.7 in recent memory.

Mhm...? I'm aware of why it's behaving as it is... I just didn't expect it to be that way (and the user manual reflects that thought). I think I'm going to have to ask the devs to change that behavior. Ctrl+C copies the visible text -- that's expected. "Copy Selected Hosts," on the other hand, should go one level lower and get the IP directly instead. Otherwise, the user would have to disable resolving just to get at the IP address if they want to copy it after the IP is already resolved, which is roundabout and borderline dumb. Its behavior is also currently inconsistent behavior with "Copy Peer List" in what gets copied to the clipboard (since "Copy Peer List" grabs directly from the peer list anyway).

Otherwise, the user would have to disable resolving just to get at the IP address if they want to copy it after the IP is already resolved, which is roundabout and borderline dumb

There's no reason to duplicate Ctrl+C's behavior. Ctrl+C for visible text, "Copy Selected Hosts" for internal data -- it's quite simple and logical, really (so I'm not sure why you're offering workarounds).

Exactly -- filtered in a way that the user can't do manually without (retardedly) needing to disable/re-enable a feature. What does "Copy Selected Hosts"'s current behavior do that the user can't manually do simply by removing the little bit of text added by Ctrl+C? Nothing. Resovled IPs are of very limited use, so copying them is next to worthless (making a top-level context menu item perform such a useless function is... not very understandable). Using them to display flags, on the other hand, is useful (and that's what they're mainly for anyway: display purposes).

What workaround? Disabling IP resolving. That's working around a dumb behavior (copying a useless resolved IP that, as you can already see from the first post in this thread, means nothing).

Again, the desired divide doesn't get any clearer:

- Copy visible text: Ctrl+C (which can contain all the useless information it wants -- resolved IPs included)

- Copy internal data: context menu (copied text can be reused elsewhere without monkeying around)

I'm not sure what change you're talking about... I never said it was changed; I said it should be changed (so I don't see what it is that I need to prove here).

In fact, I'm not even sure why it even makes a difference whether the behavior was changed to begin with. Utility is utility, and sticking to a particular behavior solely based on the fact that that's how it's always been is backwards-thinking. It's not as if there are valid reasons to reject the change, or as if the current behavior has any advantages over the proposed change (whereas the proposed change does have an advantage in that IPs are actually more useful than resolved addresses).

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm joining the conversation rather late, but a discussion came up about ipfilter.dat and the "Copy Selected Hosts" feature in 1.8 Announcement. I'm in favor of just IP address without port (and no brackets for IPv6, again no port). What was the feature of "Copy Selected Hosts" intended for? As a feature for me - where I copy & paste into ipfilter - it doesn't do what I want exactly. :)

Archived