questions about bandwidth allocation, reqs

hexa

Hello,

I have a few questions related to utorrent.

First of all I'd like to know what Reqs in the Peers-tab means

Secondly, I'm always a little bit annoyed that my upload rate on torrents with hardly any seeds/peers is very low when I have another download with many people active. That also happens when I give a high bandwidth alocation to the almost neglected download (if that options works that way). When I stop the well populated download all my upload bandwidt is allocated to the poor one, so the demand is there. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks a lot

hexa

Reqs displays the number of 16 KiB block requests you've made to the peer on the left side, and the number of 16 KiB requests they've made to you on the right side.

If µTorrent has the bandwidth allocation set any other way, it might end up sending data to some peers at 0.1KiB/s, which is pretty worthless. µTorrent tries to keep a fair minimum upload rate for all peers. Make sure you have the Speed Guide set properly.

I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. Lets try: On the requests I can also see how much demand there is for my uploads? That would mean if I am connected to 20 peers on one upload, and 3 on another, there might be a higher number of requests from the larger group and thus the upload speed might be larger there? I set the speed to what's possible with my connection. As I share a line with a rather low upload connection with a few people I cannot offer more than 15 kb/s without them complaining, and the distribution always looks something similar to

large peer group: 13kb/s

small peer group: 2kb/s

You can double click on the torrent you don't want to share upload on and change the max upload rate to 1. Assuming there are other peers that can accept upload from you, your bandwidth will be re-distributed to the other torrents.

> Reqs

Reqs: Left side, how many pieces queued to download. Right side, how many pieces queued to upload.

[Reqs from uTorrent manual already quoted]

(Indeed, I already quoted the manual up above)

The number doesn't necessarily mean the requests are queued. It just means that's how many µTorrent received/sent (in the last x number of seconds, I presume, since they don't accumulate).

Reqs is not accurate depending on the client. I rarely see it work for KTorrent/BitLord/Limewire peers, and unless you're pumping out alot of data anyway it won't show >1 for the sending side. The columns as with all the uT GUI is updated @ gui.update_rate . Sure the default is 1 second, but you can change it however you like.

Archived