Satellite Internet and Vista ............ Can I get a little help?

moondog

I am forced to use HughesNet as my internet provider for high speed. I am also now on a Vista computer. I am only trying to download during 3am and 6am, but can only get about 25kbps download speed.

When I check my download speeds at my ISP's download checking place as well as other sites, I get a speed of 700+ kbps.

utorrent tells me my port isn't forwarded properly, but I must be doing something wrong because nothing I've tried sets things right.

Can ANYONE help me please?

dog

There's a common misconception about speeds. Speedtests are in Kbit but programs like uT and windows usually measure in KByte.

Even still 768 Kbit/sec is close to 90KiBps which means you've got some tweaking to do. There is previous mention of the difficulties of hughesnet, but not about their disclosure policy :) They're one of the ones I know of which gives FULL ACCOUNTABILITY of what you get for your price, what happens when you go over, and what they do to your lines. You can check out some of those posts by using the search for http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?action=search&keywords=hughesnet

You cannot legally port-forward a satellite. So you are permanently firewalled no matter what you do. It's simply not an open 2-way internet connection. And latency is so high that it can cause pipelining issues which seriously reduce download/upload speeds.

Your upload limit in uTorrent is *CTRITICALLY IMPORTANT* with satellite, because it is often lower than just about any other form of faster-than-dial-up connection.

Jewelisheaven

I know about my limits etc... and what is promised by Hughesnet. I do my best to never exceed my download limit. What I don't understand is why just a few weeks ago I was able to get about 120kbps allowing me to download about 460mb an hour and now I'm lucky if I get 25mb in an hour.

Switeck

So basically I'm just screwed?

Thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions. I appreciate it!

dog

If your speeds suddenly dropped without you doing anything, it's always wise to verify nothing DID change on your end.. you know what you have control over.. software updates, firewall, windows, uT, etc

Afterwards checking it you can call up hughesnet, and ask if there's an outage in your area. Heh, you may have got new subscribers in your area? i don't know how your sat signals are shared... if this is even an issue.

The only thing that has changed is that I'm now on Vista, but that came AFTER the speeds dropped by about 6 or 7 days. Other than that, no change that I know of. I didn't add any programs or uninstall stuff. Oh, the one change was to the latest version of utorrent. But I have since gone back to an earlier version of utorrent.

Might this also be a problem with my router?

dog

Archived