CPU 100% when starting a download?

simmy

Hello,

Each time I start a new torrent download the CPU will stay at 100% for some time then it goes down and the torrent is downloading at a normal speed and resource usage. In the Task Manager it shows up that utorrent is using around 20% CPU - I guess to allot the disk space needed, but I am not sure in this. But the overall CPU stays at 100% and I don't see anything else using huge amounts of CPU... after some time, depending on the size of the torrent everything goes back to normal and utorrent is using just about 1% - 5% CPU.

Is there a way to overcome this initial CPU load?

If it isn't preallocation, then it is likely a 3rd party program or simply a computer that barely meets the reqs its OS. Still, to get 100% usage like that would take a very rare case nowadays for the latter case. So, try dumping a dll list and process explorer list for us to see if there are any scanners etc. that could be interfering.

OK I checked against everything jewelisheaven advised and it's not the case (I use ZoneAlarm if that helps). So I have two machines, not very powerful but still I believe they have enough resources to handle the job - the current one is a Pentium 4 at 2.4Ghz with 480MB RAM 5400 RPM HDD... it's a laptop so the performance might be a bit slower.

How do I dump a dll list and process explorer list?

Also, I've noticed that when I start a torrent job it starts download and updating peers etc and then the CPU goes to 100% after about 10-20 seconds... and stays this way for a few minutes. The interesting thing is that even if I stop the torrent the moment the CPU goes to 100% it will still stay at 100% for a few minutes even though the torrent has been stopped and it's not downloading anything. When I resume it after the CPU goes to normal it works OK and doesn't go above 5% CPU. I guess what this means is that the CPU load comes from disk space allocating or something like this not from the download itself...

EDIT: Primary is PIO, secondary is Ultra DMA Mode 2.

Archived