Internet+utorrent=slow

verniebob

Hello, I have looked and looked and found some of the guides here very useful, but they have not solved my problem. Basically, when downloading torrents, I am unable to use the internet, as it is extrememly slow. I have set up a static IP, configured the ports, changed various settings suggested by this and other guides, limited upload speeds(although they never reach the limit anyway), but to no avail. And its not even like I am downloading anything quickly, my downloads are just beginning and not going very fast, yet the internet is still practically unuseable.

Matters are further complicated by the fact that I have two roomates who also download torrents, so obviously, none of us can download unless no one else is around, b/c it will slow down the network for all. Is there any way to keep things moving briskly? Do I just need to limit downloads severely if I want to use the internet too? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

And also, if it is of any value, speed testing puts my max upload speed at about 1500kb/s, and my max download speed at about 2500 kb/s. Thanks.

Ok, sorry. I am using vista home premium 64-bit. My utorrent light is green and speedcheck shows the port as open. I have a comcast cable connection. I have done everything on that list w/ the exception of the patch to set the limit for connections higher. I haven't tried that yet b/c I have never gotten the message saying its maxed, and I didn't want to mess w/ the registry unless that is the answer. My router is a linksys befsr41. net.max_halfopen is set to 4. I have avg and use windows firewall. Connection speed through speed test is as above. Thanks.

Thank you, that seems to be working. We have digital cable, but it might be basic, xx/384 seems to be much smoother. I had set it higher initially b/c of the speed test. The slackware is not downloading so good yet (been running for 10 min and hasn't gone over 5kb/s), but the others are moving quickly (around 50-100kb/s) and so far the internet seems to be smooth also. Will check back soon.

Now that I seemingly have mine running well, the next step is to try to get the others running as well. Will I need to restrict the speed more to allow three comps to use bitorrent and still use the internet? Is this even feasible?

It's better to run just 1 copy of uTorrent and share it than try to split the bandwidth 3-ways (making a lot go to waste or experience occasional overloads).

Watch your upload speeds! If you're not uploading at the set max you entered most of the time, then you may have severe problems.

ComCast is definitely disruptive of BitTorrent traffic, but oftentimes their methods are not very effective. :)

Correct however if you wish to use N clients simultaneously you should divide current upload/N for your Preferences.

Though for speed sake you should try what Switeck says, which can be accomplished in many ways.... a central uT, or a great fallback, the scheduler... All of you can split download time. . .with the client set to be OFF during this time.

Ok thanks guys, I will just use the scheduler between us. What are the severe problems you speak of, that scares me. Are you talkin monitoring from comcast? It looks to be around 35 kb/s, so thats right correct?

Also one more question, in some of the faqs it is mentioned that limiting upload speed will cause utorrent to choke your download speed in the long run. Is this likely to happen at 32, or is that more common if you go real low?

If the Speed tab with the scale back at 30 seconds or 5 minutes isn't relatively horizontal it means you have other line issues to worry about, which would include ISP interference, local outage/latency, or other peer problems.

You will have to tune the upload for each cycle.... basic cable is a maximum of .5Mbit usually. So at absolute maximum you may pump out 57-58 KiBps when seed-only is enabled. However to accommodate up to the 6Mbit downloads you'll want to reduce that to around 47-48... it's all up to your test scenarios. Run a seeding torrent, and run one of the test torrents. At the rate uploading where the downloading takes a SHARP turn is your tipping point. Upload below that and you're OK. Note this tipping point may vary based on time of day... i.e. like I mentioned above if you guys decide to switch off based on round blocks. If you're all interested in similar content though I think switeck's idea is still better, it reduces the need for duplicate data, and won't cut one of you guys off say if you like tv and something awesome comes out @ 9:05pm but your download time ends @ 8:59pm.

Leaving the upload rate unlimited will choke the download speed. Lowering the upload rate to 5 or below will activate an anti-leech protection in µTorrent that throttles your download rate to 6x the set upload rate.

Comcast currently throttles BitTorrent. They have stated that they'd stop doing so, but I don't know of any timeframe. In the mean time, µTorrent 1.8 should *hopefully* play better on Comcast connections.

In cases with old/flakey networking hardware and software, setting upload too high might cause general computer slowdowns, slow-loading or timing out web pages, or even complete router/modem lockups...requiring the router/modem to be turned off and back on to reset. Bluescreens are even possible, though probably only on the uTorrent computer if there's severe network driver issues. (...or bad firewalls such as Zone Alarm present!)

High numbers of connections, such as 100+ total, can be too much for even semi-new routers. Certain brands are worse than others (Belkin, D-Link)...even Linksys is only really good with the most stable 3rd party firmware.

High half open connection rate is often a show-stopper for computers, routers, and modems alike. If even 1 person sets their BitTorrent client higher than 10 half open connections at once, everyone may see slowdowns.

Lastly, really bad routers may not handle DHT, Resolve IPs, Local Peer Discovery, or UPnP very well.

Ah, ok, I got that set to 4 as per instructions on ultimas sticky, so I should be good. Another question: would it be better to set up my roomates on the same port I'm using, or would it allow for quicker downloads and more security if I use a different one for each? Seems like maybe one port would be better b/c less holes, but I don't know for sure.....

Archived