uTorrent and Settings?

ut_user

I had been using utorrent with the standard speed guide settings of xxx\384. I have tweaked XP SP2 not to limit TCP\IP connections as well as using the patch to make the half-open to 100 and I changed utorrent's half-open to 90. Using this method, my download speeds were very much low like in the 50 KB\s. My global connections were at 230 and the rest also at default. I had unlimited upload and download setup as well.

Anyhow, I changed my settings to 384 in the half-open patch then I set global to 384 in utorrent. I change utorrent connection per peer at 192 as well. I then set half-open in utorrent to 192. Still leaving upload and download to unlimited. I set upload slots to 4 while keeping only 2 downloads active at a time. This made the same slow 50 KB\s torrent jump all the way to 500 KB\s +\-.

I don't know if my second settings are correct and if they can be bumped up more. I am in a cable connection with 8 MB download and around 384 KB\s upload. Any help would be appreciated.

ut_user

DO NOT increase half open from default with a broken configuration.

The Setup Guide includes test torrents such as http://slackware.com/torrents/ You will need to setup your connection such that THOSE torrents download near your maximum. Having a too-high upload has a DIRECT impact upon the sustained download speeds you get. Verify this by downloading one of those torrents AND starting a seeding torrent. From a low upload like 10 KiBps, notice how somewhere around 48-51 KiBps in uT set upload limit you see downloads plummet. This is proof that the upload is too high. Back it off and you are configured correctly. Using the DEFAULT xx/384 Speed Guide settings will help you get started.

Standard Default Automatic (sorry its not unlimited, my mistake), but that is not the origin of the problem. That would give global 230 and 80 connections per torrent.

The problem is not the speed, is that not connecting to enough users!

Okay I put back Half-Open to 100 and set back utorrent to use *90. I am still seeing high numbers here 350 KB\s +\-. I still have 384 setup for global and 192 per torrent. I have setup 3 upload slots to each plus set upload to 36 KB\s.

ut_user

I set my half open connections to 0 a lot of the time.

We're saying half open connections will work BETTER at 8 or less.

Your connection issues are other problems.

Less is often better when you have problems.

If you can't get 100+ connections per torrent, spamming the connection with 50+ new connections (the half open rate) will probably just increase the disconnect rate.

Archived