Uploading is fine, but downloading is very, very slow.

exponents2046

I have neither limited. Typical upload speed is around 25kb/s, and downloading crawls at 2-3kb/s. Currently, there are 2(5) seeds and 20(102) peers. Looking at my peers shows lots of peers downloading to me for several secnds at .01 or.02kbs, then they jump off, while they continue to upload from me at much higher rates then they downloaded to me. Then, they are gone, and the process starts again. So far I have uploaded 376mb, at a ratio of 0.419. It has taken 21 hours to download 897mb.

I use a Netgear WNDR 3300. Port was forwarded, Windows firewall Rules were set to allow UTorrent.

File availability is good.

Current settings are: Global Max connections: 200

Max # connected peers per torrent: 80

Number of upload slots per torrent: 3

All additional Bittorrent features enabled except limit local bandwidth.

UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping enabled.

Speed test indicated upload speed around 145kb/s.

What other info do you need to help?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

You may have confused kilobits/sec for KiloBYTES/sec on your speed tests.

If so, you're telling uTorrent to upload faster than your line allows...download speeds drops immensely because of it...and ironically even the upload speed suffers some too!

You've probably got a wireless LAN with an absolute max speed of 54 megabits/sec...which is what Windows is reporting.

145 kilobits/sec is 18.125 KiloBYTES/sec theoretical max speed. Notice the conversion of bits to Bytes.

However whatever speed test you used may have been constrained to slightly lower than your connection's real speed due to random failures and extreme distance to the testing website.

In Speed Guide (CTRL+G), you probably cannot use any setting faster than xx/256k (which roughly maxes out at 25 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed)...and may even be forced to use xx/128k.

Thanks for your reply, and conversion explanation. I understand all that you are saying, and even though my upload speed is not that great, it is MUCH greater than my download speed. I don't understand why no one is giving as fast as they are getting from me.

For example, I will have a peer upload from me at 4 or 5 kb/s, and yet that same peer is downloading to me at only 0.1 or 0.2 kb/s. That is certainly not fairplay. Or even worse, they are uploading from me, and not downloading anything to me at all.

Is there no way to assure that I am receiving at least CLOSE to what I am giving? Fair is fair, no?

P.S. I just tried one of the "slackerware" torrents. Current speed guide setting for 128kb/s. My top download speed never went beyond 7.6kb/s. Mostly it hovered around 2.0 - 3.0 kb/s downloading.

Hope that info helped.

:( That sounds like you're crippled on your line with your current settings.

Ultima's How-To post #2 lists steps you can try to get around this.... the first being lowering your peer connections. Secondly you can lower your active torrents. Also disabling UPnP/NAT-PMP, LPD, DHT and specific scrape mechanics lowers the incidence of unencrypted packets you send out. >< Are you running Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent ENABLED/FORCED Encryption? You can try doing that as well as dis-allow legacy connections. The legacy isn't applicable for slackware though. Their peers are fast and allow encryption so you should see changed immediately. You will need to STOP the torrent and restart it to make the encrypted connections.

took your advise and have been able to get my download speeds up to a blazing 10-25kbs on average, and uploads to over 65kbs. Thanks - quite a bit better.

It still is the case that often, peers are loading stuff FROM me at a higher speed than they are sending stuff back, or even NOT sending back at all. Is there a way to stop the unfair disparity? I just want to receive as much as they are taking. Isn't that the spirit of the whole p2p torrent system?

Downloading is incidental with bittorrent. To be a fair peer, you should upload efficiently to as many people as you can. This gets your download... the general rule of 3-5 KiBps sustained per peer satisfies this. I myself notice large improvements in speed by trying to keep 5-8 or as large as 10 KiBps available peer upload slot for torrents, especially newer popular content.

Sometimes you can't avoid being the heavy seeder/peer on a swarm. :/

Usually, download only ends up MUCH lower than upload speed on "dead" torrents with no seeds...or 1 very slow seed.

Otherwise, it's due to using too few or too many upload slots.

Very rarely is it due to not getting enough connections.

The biggest reason is some overload...too many connections at once, upload speed set too high for the connection, half open set too high, etc...

Archived