Jump to content

uTorrent resource problem


Recommended Posts

I'm experiencing problems with uTorrent 1.8 beta build 9704 when there are active torrents, regardless of their status and activity. uTorrent is using up ~25% of my CPU and ~135MB of RAM. If I revert back to v.1.7.7 there are no issues.

My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and my computer specs are:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600

RAM: 4GB Geil


I have no firewalls installed or active and I'm using NOD32 v.3. I have also disabled windows defender.

This issue was not present a few days ago and I haven't changed anything on my machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of software now auto-updates. Your computer's changed because of that, even if you are not aware of it.

NOD32 is known to have SERIOUS problems with uTorrent in all but a few versions, and even with them you need special settings to prevent major issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I've just registered to report the same problem posted here.

I also noticed as soon as I updated to the latest 1.8beta build (2008-04-20: Version 1.8 beta (build 9704))

There is a MASSIVE CPU Usage (+90%) when I use your software.

And since I couldn't find the previous beta build, I just moved back to the old 1.77 stable...

Listen: don't say it's something with our PC, auto-updates or whatever. This is A REAL PROBLEM and you should take note of that! You should listen to the users support!

Good Luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

Check the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' properties andtell us what the the connected devices' current transfer modes are. If any of them are in PIO, uninstall the affected controller and restart your computer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK First of all, thanks for your concern.

Now, what would be the problem...

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 This thread doesn't quite apply here because I had no speed issues whatsoever. But anyways I chequed all things in that thread and everything is fine (yes, it's true).

About PIO, the last time my transfer modes were PIO was about 8 years ago. Ever since there are ultra DMA mode 2 for the old hdd, and mode 6 for dvd and new hdd.

Lame firewalls, I'm using windows firewall and, of course, is correctly configured to let utorrent ports open and everything.

NOD32, well I'm using this AV. Maybe the problem lies here, but wait..

I'be been using utorrent and nod32 for some years now. After utorrent 1.7.7, I'be been using also all the beta releases so far. None problems at all...

This is what happened:

I was using the previous beta build, downloading some movies. Yesterday, I closed utorrent, downloaded and installed the latest 9704 build, opened and continued downloading my movies and... walla!! 5 minutes later my CPU usage was 100%, 95% of which were from utorrent (ctrl+alt+del told me that)

So, I can assure you that the only thing that changed was utorrent. Now, since it's beta I can't ask for it to work OK, I'm just telling you all this for you to take note and correct it in the next build...

If nod32 is the problem, well make tests with it because I don't thing is such a good thing for you to say: "hey, use another AV, nod32 sucks..." because I've never had a problem before and I think is a good AV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...