New downloads on Windows 2003 Web Edt bogs down upload on new torrents

digicat

I have a seedbox on a 100mb line with windows 2003 web edition. I have 2 gb of ram with the disk cache set at 1gb so i dont have disk overload, and i dont. My problem is that every time I start a new large torrent download , say 20gb or so starts, all my other torrents that are uploading at normal speeds like 2-3mb all stall to a crawl at literly 2-3 k/s. It does pick bak up after 15 or so minutes but i loose valuable upload time. I do have bout 7-10 torrents running at all time. Is there any setting i can use to help prevent this. An help would be appreciated. Title says bogs down upload on new torrents i meant existing

;) Pre-allocate is under Downloads.

You may want to turn off "write out finished pieces immediately". Additionally this may be due to something about windows cache. In 1.8 there is an option below "increase cache size when thrashing" to disable windows cache for reads and writes. You may want to try it out in a self-contained http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_share_my_torrents_between_user_profiles.3F to test.

The reason that happens is because it has to allocate the files to disk. This takes time, and will take even longer if the disk is being used by other torrents.

You can turn on sparse files, but fragmentation can increase.

Fragmentation is only really a problem when you're < 20% disk free. Windows does all the allocation behind the scenes. If however you decide to start downloading really large individual files without defragging your fragmentation will increase by magnitudes. If you don't want to deal with a full defrag, you can also check out "Contig" by sysinternals. It allows... per-file defragmentation. Though TBQH I only use it for pagefile touchups when I reinstall windows.

Archived