Couldn't think of a good subject for this

Jon

One of my favorite things about µtorrent is it's small size and requirements, I can set it and forget it. I have noticed that many people including myself have or had trouble finding and what settings work best for them. Now I don't want bloatware added to the client, but would it be possible to create an app built into a webpage to calc the best settings. Not a these will put you in the right ballpark settings, but it actually test the connection with an actual torrent good torrent and bases the settings on the results.

That way it's not in the client and yet it's very accurate.

A simple config wizard in utorrent.exe :P

It's basically "choose your upload speed" and it uses settings appropriate for said upload speed. It may have a 2nd page to choose a port and a link to grc's port prober so people can test their forwards and such too.

It won't really bloat it. On the plus side, it should cut down significantly on the speed problems people have.

Sure, some people will still complain, but allot less then before would complain if µTorrent had a wizard that made the appropriate settings for the download/upload speed.

Or maybe as simple as having 2 text boxes, 2 drop menu and a 'OK' button.

First you type your download speed in the first text box,

then in the first drop menu you chose between 'Kbit' and 'Mbit'.

After that you type your upload speed in the second text box,

then in the second drop menu you chose between 'Kbit' and 'Mbit'.

Then you push 'OK' and µTorrent calculate the best settings for you.

I think a wizard is a good thing, but still would perfer it was separate. And a wizard is not the same as a tester. A wizard will help a lot as far as getting people in the right ballpark, but I don't think it will tweek out connection as well as if it tested the connection itself.

Archived